Tomato Basil Salad

rayne

With all the rain we've had, my basil is growing like crazy. I picked some leaves the other day and made a tomato basil salad that was wonderful. Spread tomatoes and sliced onions on a plate. Sprinkle fresh chopped basil and blue cheese crumbles over top. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and you have a tasty salad.

Sagebrush

Are you also lucky enough to have gotten the tomatoes out of your garden? We don't quite have good ripe ones yet. It rained so much this spring that everything in the garden got planted late. But you're right; a simple tomato salad beats all the lettuce in the world!

Primrose

I have a similar recipe rayne. In mine, you layer the tomatoes with fresh sliced mozzarella cheese instead of onions, sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and then the dressing. The mozzarella just brings it all together. You'll have to try it.

Lyra

I've never done the bleu cheese sprinkles before, but I love bleu cheese. I'll have to try it. You know what the best would be? Homegrown tomatoes and basil, and homemade fresh mozzarella. It is not that hard to make mozzarella. How fun would that be to have a completely homegrown/homemade salad?

Primrose

Yes it would Lyra. I've looked at making mozzarella but haven't done so yet. Have you every made any? Is it hard? My family would love to have that in the fridge at all times. I think I would have a hard time keeping any.

freshfoodie

I love tomato basil salad. I have not had it in quite some time though. I might just have to round up the ingredients and make some this weekend. It also makes me crave some fresh bruschetta.