Tight jaw

Lyra

I have been having recurrent headaches lately. I think I am clinching my jaw during the day, and by the end of the day, it has given me a headache. Usually by the time I notice I'm tensing my jaw, I can't get it to stop. I keep trying to blow my lips or tell myself to loosen up my mouth, but nothing is working. Can anyone help me with suggestions?

Hyacinth

I don't have this problem, but I assume that there are stretching exercises for the jaw that you can perform. Have you tried any of those? Also, I read that massaging your jaws using circular motions can help.

Lilly

I have had TMJ since I was 12 years old so I have a few tips for you. There are stretching exercises like opening and closing your mouth several times in different positions. You can also apply warm, moist heat to your jaw. Ibuprofen will help take the swelling down, and you can purchase mouth guards to keep you from clenching your jaw down.

Lyra

Warm, moist heat is the one suggestion here I have not tried at all. I really think the best solution to me is to reduce stress. But, of course, that is not always possible. Things have been a little better this week, though.

WeepingWillow

I have the same problem. I do exercises for my jaw every day, 1-2 times a day. It helps a lot. Eventually, your jaw will memorize the positions and relax in the relaxed positions on its own.

I was trying to post a link, but it won't let me until I have ten posts. But just do a google search for jaw exercises, a lot will pop up. Find one that you like and stick to it until you see results. Hope that helps.