The MRI Results Are In...

MissEm

I had an MRI done on Monday for horrible back pain I've been in for 3 weeks. My chiropractor called me and I have 2 herniated discs and degenerative disc disease in another. The herniation between L5 and S1 is "significant" with almost complete nerve impingement. My chiro is sending me to a Orthopedic surgeon. :( Thankfully, my Ortho Doctor is a team doctor for one of the local NFL teams, so he must be a good Doctor if he's trusted with the health of multi-million dollar football players. :)

wonder

Ouch for sure :( It's good that the Ortho doc is a good one though. I bet they are thinking surgery - I had 2 herniated discs about 10 years ago. We started with traction and therapy and then they wanted to do cortisone shots. Luckily it just get better.

Are you doing back exercises?

smellsrfun

I think that is why I stay away from chiropractors.... the fear of them messing up something that is already bad. I too have a bad back and I refuse to go to a chiropractor. I am glad that you are going to an Ortho surgeon though.

SoftRain

I'm sorry; that sounds awful! If you do have to get surgery I hope it helps you. Is there any chance physical therapy will be enough?

Cassia

Oh, that's something that anyone doesn't want to hear, but you are 'lucky' to have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon who is already established and could be trusted. Hope to hear some good news from you in the coming days!

heytacos

Do you have any idea what caused this? I have had back issues before but nothing this extensive. Can it really just happen to anyone?

MissEm

I have no idea how this happened. The Doctor said that I could have injured my back several months ago and not realized it until the nerve was irritated enough to cause severe pain. I'm refusing surgery, so hopefully they will have other options. I'm trying to stay positive. :)

Cathy

MissEm, that sounds like quite a handful of problems you have. You must have a lot of pain. I'm taking my friend to have an MRI done next week. She has had severe back pain for the longest time. I wish she had a doctor like yours. Hers have misdiagnosed her so many times.

CrankyMonkey

My dad has had 3 surgeries for that exact problem and after all that he still has the problem and the doctors have told him there is nothing further that they can do. I hope that it works out better for you.

wanderingherb

I'm sorry to hear you have to go through such an ordeal. I hope all goes well for you. Be careful and don't over do anything just because you're feeling better at time. :) Always get's me into trouble!

Wandering Herb