The benefits of Onions

Brea

I like to cook with onions, and sometimes make a nice salad with fresh onions in it. I did not know the benefits of eating onions, until I read something about how good onions are for your health.

1. Onions enhance blood flow by relaxing arteries and helps prevent hardening of the arteries. This means onions can greatly reduces the possiblity of heart attack or a stroke.
2. May help prevent cataracts.
3. Enhances the immune system.
4. Acts as an anti inflammatory for joints and other pain.

There may be more benefits, but that is all I can remember. Doesn't that make you want to eat more onions?

strawberry

That's interesting. I knew they were good for you but I had no idea there were so many benefits. I love onions of all kinds, both cooked and raw. If I'm using them raw, I like Spanish or red onions. For cooking I like the regular yellow onion. I usually grow some in my garden every summer.

Hyacinth

I love onions. Though I use them a lot in my cooking, I wasn't really paying attention to their health benefits, so it's good to know about what they can do to the body! I tried to find out more and it says that onions work well with cardiovascular system.

rayne

We slice them and lay them on the grill until they are just tender crisp. They are a great side item for whatever your are serving. They go especially good with chicken and grilled squash.