The Aloe Vera Plant

Sarah C.

The Aloe Vera plant is an easy plant to grow in warm and hot climates. Native to Northern Africa, the gel from the inside of the aloe vera plant can be used to aid in healing. Aloe vera has been very useful in treating the skin. It can soothe a sunburn and help it heal faster. It also has been proven to help in the treatment of psoriasis and eczema. Asthma has been treated with the plants leaves being boiled in a pot, and the sufferer inhaling the vapors. When made into a liquid form, aloe can be used to treat constipation, ulcers, diabetes, headaches, arthritis, and coughs.

Grow some aloe today! It is natural, readily accessible and can aid in the healing and correction of many ailments.

The Aloe Vera plant is an easy plant to grow in warm and hot climates. Native to Northern Africa, the gel from the inside of the aloe vera plant can be used to aid in healing. Aloe vera has been very useful in treating the skin. It can soothe a sunburn and help it heal faster. It also has been proven to help in the treatment of psoriasis and eczema. Asthma has been treated with the plants leaves being boiled in a pot, and the sufferer inhaling the vapors. When made into a liquid form, aloe can be used to treat constipation, ulcers, diabetes, headaches, arthritis, and coughs.

Grow some aloe today! It is natural, readily accessible and can aid in the healing and correction of many ailments.
I've tried using aloe for eczema, and it didn't work for me. In fact, no natural remedy worked for me. I ended up having to go back to my prescription.

DixieMarie

I've been wanting to grow some for a while and think I will look around for a small starter plant and see how it goes. Hopefully I will have some luck with it and get more.

rayne

I keep an aloe plant with me at all times. In the classroom, all the teachers send their students to me if they get burned on the radiators and I use the one at home for the times I burn myself on the stove. It works!!!

Somniate

What about climates that aren't exactly warm? I've been considering getting an aloe vera plant, but I don't really have a green thumb...

Would it be better to get a plant that's already fully grown, or a plant that I grow from the seed?

dissn_it

What about climates that aren't exactly warm? I've been considering getting an aloe vera plant, but I don't really have a green thumb...

Would it be better to get a plant that's already fully grown, or a plant that I grow from the seed?
We live in a cold climate, too. We got a small aloe vera plant and just kept it indoor all year round and it pretty good. I no longer have it because I let my daughter have it when she moved away to college. She was always using it more than anyone else so I wanted her to have it. I will be getting another grown plant to replace it. I have not tried to grow one from seed, but I would recommend just getting a plant.

Mrs. Rogers

I remember when my Grandmother used to keep an Aloe plant. We used it all the time. I definitely need to get one. I could have used it last week when I burned my hand.

chabella

All Lady
I think this is the first time in my life I have went without having one in the house. And it is next on my list to get for the house, I just need to teach the kitties to stop trying to eat all of my darn planets.

Sarah C.

I've tried using aloe for eczema, and it didn't work for me. In fact, no natural remedy worked for me. I ended up having to go back to my prescription.
I am sorry to hear that! I have a nephew with eczema and I know the struggles associated with it!

I am glad there is at least a prescription that works for you!

Somniate

We live in a cold climate, too. We got a small aloe vera plant and just kept it indoor all year round and it pretty good. I no longer have it because I let my daughter have it when she moved away to college. She was always using it more than anyone else so I wanted her to have it. I will be getting another grown plant to replace it. I have not tried to grow one from seed, but I would recommend just getting a plant.
I saw some large, lovely green aloe plants at a farmer's market I went to last weekend. If we go again this weekend I'll see if I can get one!

I think this is the first time in my life I have went without having one in the house. And it is next on my list to get for the house, I just need to teach the kitties to stop trying to eat all of my darn planets.
Sounds like you should try some Bitter Apple Spray! It deters animals from chewing on stuff because it's bitter, but it's harmless. When my dog was a puppy and in the chewing stage, we'd spray it on cords and such, and after he got a taste of it he stopped. It works on cats too.

If you ask about it in a pet store, you'll probably find some.

shaunche

I would like to grow Aloe Vera, I think it would be a useful herb to have. The problem is that I don't live in a warm climate. Would it be possible to grow the Aloe Vera plant in a greenhouse? How long does it take to grow?

How long do you boil it and how does this work?

Also do you have any advice on how to stop the plant from rotting at the base? I have grown them in the past and even without a ton of extra water the base almost always seems to rot, any advice on how to stop this?

CityGirlLuv

I love the aloe vera plant. They are also considered a plant that will improve the quality of the air around your home. I can't remember where exactly I read it at, but I want to say it was some top five "green" plant article that was featured on MSN or some news site like that. I work at Lowes, so I need to see if they have any available for sale right now...along with some Venus Fly Traps!

Lena51

I use this plant all the time and it is very helpful when you burn yourself and you can also use this plant for your hair and it makes it look very nice. I use this instead of gel and it does the trick so I won't have to buy the gel in the store. I have such a big plant, now I am trying to learn how to replant it so I can have more than one without killing it. It has about 4 starts in that one pot. I may have to break the pot and that is not what I wanted to do. Any one can help me with that it would be appreciated.

Nina

This is the first year I've tried growing aloe vera. I heard so much about it that I wanted to try it myself. I'm still waiting for my little plants to get more size on them before experimenting much with them.

Jessi

I absolutely love aloe vera plants. We've always had one in the house. When I went away to college, I even bought a small one to put in my dorm room because I was so used to having one at my disposal. It's great for sunburns especially.

alid1

I have never heard of aloe helping with asthma. Thanks for the information. I am always looking for natural ways to help with asthma, and I have aloe sitting on my table! Isn't it amazing all the plants and foods that can naturally cure so many ailments. It is amazing to think about!

beckyv1265

I love aloe. It makes my skin feel great when I have been out in the elements. Its also great for burns. I keep one growing in the windowsill.

leyash

Aloe vera is EXCELLENT on sunburns, bug bites, and lots of other ailments. I really like the way it feels on the skin, even without a burn.