Taking Calcium

I've been told recently that taking calcium without taking other vitamins and minerals that work with it can hurt your health, rather than help it. The people who told me have studied vitamins and I believe them. I forgot what they said to take with the calcium, though. There were 5 or 6 nutrients that they mentioned. I know Vitamin D and magnesium are two of them. Does anyone know what they others are?

soursop

I do not know what those other minerals are, but I stopped taking calcium when I developed kidney stones. I am taking multi-vitamin capsules though.

CrunchyMama

Potassium is another, and possibly sodium. Calcium, magnesium, and potassium need to be kept in a delicate balance, which is not always easy to do. Vitamin D will help you use the calcium you ingest.

curer

Yea, taking too much of calcium is not advisable. It may lead to formation of kidney or gall bladder stones. I'm not sure what other vitamins are to be taken with calcium. But, moderation should be the watch word.

Thyme

I should be starting to think about taking calcium in a regular basis as I am getting older. However, I dread the mere thought of those huge pills.

Irish Moss

I take calcium and I don't particularly like the size either. It's like taking a horse pill. I think the chewable kind would be the best option if they weren't so expensive. I always try to find one with magnesium and vitamin D plus any other minerals like zinc, potassium, and even vitamin C added. Taken after a meal for optimal absorption.