Swollen feet and ankles

Luvkenny

My dad has been feeling pretty lousy this past weekend. I went to see him yesterday and his ankles and feet were quite swollen. His lower legs were starting to swell too. He even complained of his stomach being a bit swollen. What could this be? He would not go to the E.R but he is making an appointment today for the doctor.

Sugarhill

Does he have any issues with diabetes? Are you in the midst of the heat wave? Has he been drinking enough water? Normally, I would say that maybe his personal doctor would not be a bad option, but with that much swelling and from what you said, a short period of time, he should've gone to the ER. At the very least, it sounds like something needs to be given to him to take all the fluid off of his body.

Anna T

I would wonder too if it's because of the heat and not getting enough water? I know that consuming too much salt and then not drinking enough water can for sure cause swelling. I would say definitely see the doctor, sounds like it could be something semi-major.

ssamcd

I am happy your dad is going to the doctor. His symptoms sounds like he needs immediate attention. In the meantime keep his legs elevated and if possible get him a diuretic. Also tell him no salt. He really should go into the emergency room. Hope all is okay, please let us know.

shaunche

Swollen ankles is associated with diabetes. My mum is obese and she has problems with her ankles, they swell and it can be painful when doing exercise. He made the right move by booking an appointment with the doctor, hopefully it is nothing serious.

Luvkenny

Update - hospital (small town) ready to be transferred to a larger city hospital. It's his kidneys! There is blood and too much protein in his urine. His swelling has gone down in his feet and legs but his stomach is swollen still. No to diabetes (not that he knows of) - they are going to do a biopsy!

Waynefire

Sounds like renal failure. However, he could also be retaining fluids as well because of a swelling in the prostate. Hopefully this is not the case, but I know that is what happened to my grandpa when he started having prostate issues.

Sugarhill

Update - hospital (small town) ready to be transferred to a larger city hospital. It's his kidneys! There is blood and too much protein in his urine. His swelling has gone down in his feet and legs but his stomach is swollen still. No to diabetes (not that he knows of) - they are going to do a biopsy!
Yeah, it sounded from the OP that the doctor was simply going to send him to the hospital, but I didn't want to say that. I hadn't thought about the kidneys, however. At least he's in a situation where they know what exactly is going on and they got to him in time.

Thanks for letting us know what happened.

Lena51

I would also say maybe he's not getting enough water. I'm glad its not diabetes or anything. But tell your dad when he comes home to soak his feet in apple cider vinegar each and everyday and that should make his feet feel better and take the swelling down. Just pour a cup of the real apple cider vinegar from the health food store in a foot tub with warm water and bathe his legs and feet in there or he can sit in the tub and soak in the tub with the vinegar also. Hope you feel better!

Sage

I am glad he got a quick diagnosis. My Dad had something similar, but it was congestive heart failure. I am glad your father went to the doctor and I hope you get some good news soon.

freshfoodie

I hope they get all of this figured out for your dad soon. It can be frustrating when they can't diagnose the problem. I hope that it is nothing too serious and that your father is good as new soon.

beckyv1265

There are many reasons from poor venus return to congestive heart failure. Any good medical doctor should be able to find the reason. Even being dehydrated can cause it. So get it checked and corrested.

Hope he is feeling better since Monday. What did the doctor say it was? Whenever my feet and ankles are swollen I will elevate them and ice them. It seems to help a little bit and definitely makes me feel a whole lot better as it alleviates the pain.

artistry

They can test him and tell what the problem is, hopefully. High blood pressure can cause swelling in the feet and ankles. I hope that he gets better. Take care.

Sugarhill

For the people that missed the original update to the situation. They know what it is, they just have a few more tests to run on him. Hopefully, they'll let us know if he's been released from the hospital.

shaunche

Thanks for the update, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's health problems. It sounds like he is in good hands and hopefully he will make a full recovery. It would be good if you could keep us updated, I'm interested to know what is causing these symptoms.

Lena51

I have another solution to this problem as well. Try soaking your feet in hydrogen peroxide. That is good for especially people with diabetes to help heal them. The type of hydrogen peroxide I am speaking of is the kind that is food related hydrogen peroxide. Pour a cup of peroxide in your foot tub or put it in your bath water each and everyday and you should feel much better.

misumaru15

Well it is good to know that they have an idea of what's wrong. It is crazy when you don't know. I hope he feels better and gets on the road back to good health soon.

He should see a doctor but it could be retaining water and maybe a water pill or diuretic will help. He could also be retaining a lot of sodium. Too many things can cause this.