Surgery

dirtnut

Before you have surgery they ask you to not eat solid foods the night before. Is there a way to still eat good food but use a cleanser to rid it of your body in the morning?

chabella

All Lady
I have never actually thought about this before but I would think its possible. Just not sure even being possible that a doctor would want you to do it, what happens if the way you choose to cleanse yourself comes with other issues that could be a danger or nuisance to the surgery?

SilverVeil

In order for that to work you'd have to be able to get rid of everything from your mouth to your rectum. I think its the trauma of surgery. Your body stops it's normal functions and concentrates on stabilizing and healing. Not a good time to have food just sitting there in the system.

Allnatural

They don't want you to eat anything because when you are under general anesthesia you could vomit the contents of your stomach which could be very dangerous. I wouldn't even take the chance.

relaxme

I would just not do it. There is a reason they don't want any food in your system for so many hours prior to surgery, I would not chance it for anything.

Lindsey

Please do follow your doctors orders. There are many reasons you shouldn't be eating before surgery and the risk of aspiration is very real. It's a small sacrifice that could very well save your life.

thecure

I do not think that it is advised even if there was a way (which I do not think is the case). Try to follow what your doctor tells you and if you do not agree with him/her, then tell them that. They might be able to convince you otherwise.

GetGoing

If the situation already merits surgery then it must be already bad. Please try not to make bad to worse by being flippant with the instructions of your surgeon. Why eat solid food the night before the surgery? Did you think that it would be your last meal? It probably might rightfully be if you regurgitate said food and choke.

CaughtInAmber

I've worked as an EMT before and believe me, you do NOT want to aspirate regurgitated food into your lungs. You are already going to have decreased lung function due to being on a respirator while you are in surgery without getting junk into your lungs and causing yourself to either completly cut your airway off or develop pneumonia because of all of the foreign particles in your lungs. Not worth it.

hannah

I agree that you should always follow Doctors orders when they say do not eat before a surgery. It is better to go hungry for a day then to put your life in to potential danger.