Supplements or Superfoods?

hunysukle

I prefer eating superfoods rather than taking supplements. I would rather eat my vitamins than take them in a supplement form. What about you? Do you prefer taking supplements or eating superfoods? Why?

deb

Superfoods, definitely. I used to be a major proponent of taking supplements and I still take my share, but not like I used to. Foods are definitely the way to get our nutrition!

Irma

I am not nearly as disciplined about my diet as I would like to be. For now at least, supplements are what I must do to ensure good nutrition.

stefano13

I prefer superfoods like WILD Salmon, this fish has high levels of omega- 3 fatty acids which are for sure one of the best things you can eat. There are also omega-3 fatty acid pills you can take over the counter, but salmon also has other important nutrients that benefit you.

Sugarhill

I prefer eating superfoods rather than taking supplements. I would rather eat my vitamins than take them in a supplement form. What about you? Do you prefer taking supplements or eating superfoods? Why?

Well, I have to consider that when I'm really on my game, that I can't get all of my nutritional goals through just food, so that is why I supplement. I've actually sat down and added every thing up between the foods that I usually like to eat and what I want to hit on a daily basis, so there is a proper balance between the two.

BonnyC

Supplements are good to use if you're not likely to get your daily nutritional needs through food. Unless you plan out everything you're going to eat ahead of time and crunch the numbers, you might miss out on something. Normally, I wouldn't worry about that so long as I'm getting most of it daily. But, supplements can be like a safety net. Also, some people have conditions that keep them from being able to absorb some things through food alone.

Sugarhill

I tend to use supplements so I make sure I'm getting what I need every day.
I have a question: are your supplements what you are depending on to get all of your needed nutrients and eating whatever? Or, do you have a well balanced diet and using the supplements to supplement a few things here and there?

Okay, that was two questions. :D

I'm only asking because I hate to see people fool themselves into a "healthy lifestyle."

Tecca_Nina

I have a question: are your supplements what you are depending on to get all of your needed nutrients and eating whatever? Or, do you have a well balanced diet and using the supplements to supplement a few things here and there?

Okay, that was two questions. :D

I'm only asking because I hate to see people fool themselves into a "healthy lifestyle."
The latter. I try to get everything I need daily with the foods I eat. I take supplements to make up for whatever I may have not gotten in that day. :)

Parker

I started taking a multivitamin when I was homeless. I wasn't able to eat well and was very tired all the time. I started taking the multivitamin and felt like I received an energy boost.

My situation has greatly improved but I still continue to take the vitamin. I have heard from many women that taking a multivitamin relieves and sometimes prevent hot flashes. That reason alone is enough for me to continue taking the vitamin.

I also take a black oil currant supplement. When my budget is tight, I take evening primrose oil. These are amino acids. They really make my nails and hair. I have taken them off and on over the years.

I used to take a calcium-mg supplement as I am lactose intolerant. I do eat a lot of spinach, but I'm still concerned about my calcium intake.

Now, I'm looking to add a protein supplement to the mix. I don't get enough protein. I have started increasing my protein and the changes are dramatic, but I'm still not eating the right amount for my weight.

Sugarhill

With the costs of a multi-vitamin, wouldn't it be easier to buy foods that would provide the same amount of nutrients and also feed yourself?

I tend to take both. Some meals I get enough of the superfoods to get all the nutrition I need, but other times I do not. So I usually do a combination of both to guarantee I do not have any problems with my health at all!

iluvmario

I make sure to do both as well. It is hard to get some of the best super foods in food like Maca. I always make sure to eat as clean as I can manage with lots of fish fruits and vegetables.

FirstBaby2011

I prefer to get what my body needs from food. However, I do take a daily vitamin as a form of "health insurance". I know there are some days where all of my nutritional needs are not met for one reason or another. I am also borderline anemic so taking a multivitamin containing iron brings me peace of mind.

FirstBaby2011

With the costs of a multi-vitamin, wouldn't it be easier to buy foods that would provide the same amount of nutrients and also feed yourself?
In my situation, it would not be. I pay less than $10 for a 50 count bottle of vitamins. An extra $5 a month to spend on healthy foods would not get me very far, unfortunately.

sandooch

I would love to omit my vitamins and just go with health food, but I don't always eat 100% healthy foods every day. There are some days I only get in one serving of veggies. I know a multi is not going to be the answer to me not eating my veggies, but it just gives me a little added insurance. Also, I take 2000 mg of a garlic supplement daily to fight off infections (haven't had one cold in almost 2 years, and I usually get 2-3 per year). To get the equivilent to that in fresh garlic, I'd have to eat 20 cloves of garlic per day. Now, I love the taste of garlic, but I don't want to disgust my family and friends with my horrendous garlic breath, nor do I want to chow down 20 cloves of it daily. :D