Sunbathing?

Walter

What do you think about sunbathing, is it a good and healthy or bad habit? I know to get enough vitamin D, your body needs exposure to sunlight. But with all those ozone layer issues, I wonder if sunbathing is still so healthy as it used to be.

enthusiast

I think there is some truth to sunbathing not being as healthy as it used to be. I'd have to find out a lot more about the claims about the ozone layer and UV rays before drawing any conclusions. Meanwhile, we do need Vitamin D and exposure to the sun's rays is a great source.

Dreyfush

That makes sense Enthusiast. Your body still needs exposure to sunlight. It's more about when you sunbathe. As long as you do it in the early morning (before 9 AM, depending on the season), I think it would be fine.

question

I think sun bathing is fine if you do it every now and again. However, I think it is a very unhealthy thing to do on a regular basis. Of course skin cancer runs in my family so that might affect my feelings on this.

Myrrh

I've never liked sunbathing. My skin easily gets burned and I don't like the feeling. But I do get my Vitamin D from sun exposure. I just make sure that I stay under the sun for a reasonable amount of time. According to some people, 10-20 minutes is enough.

unhealthy

As long as you wear sunscreen with a high SPF I think sunbathing is healthy. For me it releases oxytocin and makes me feel happy and energized the rest of the day.

Victoria

I'm not one to sunbathe and I'm actually very pale. I do try to jog for a half hour in the morning though and I think I get all the sun I need then. I know that we need at least a little bit to get Vitamin D. I would just wear high SPF to avoid burns.

Jasmyne

I'm an outright sunhound, and am nut-brown before mid-Summer. I grew up in a time before sunscreens, and don't burn like most folks do: my skin is tough enough to take it, I guess, from years of exposure.

While I'll have a leathery wrinkled face when I'm a few years older, I still look and feel better with a tan, and science hasn't found a way to address that adequately for me.