Strays in the cold

Lyra

There seem to be quite a few stray cats in my neighborhood. We are having record cold temperatures. This afternoon, one of those cats was sitting on my front porch, crying. When I opened the door, he ran off. I wish I knew what I could do to help these animals. I have been racking my brain to think if there is something I could put outside to help them stay warm. Would they even know or find it if I did?

lolli

It is very sad isn't it? I hate seeing strays outside. It breaks my heart. I have never seen it as cold as it was today. We have a couple of shops that are open. I have seen a cat run in and out. It's not warm but at least it is out of the wind.

Alli

Try putting a little food out Lyra. If that guy was sitting on your doorstep he wants to come in but is just too scared. Is there a spot on your front porch out of the wind? You could try putting a blanket in a cardboard box and see what happens. You may have a box full of kitty the next time you look.

WeepingWillow

That is so sad. I hate seeing it. I always want to scoop up every stray kitty I see and take them home with me. I often put food outside for cats in locations were I see them often, such as by the dumpster.

lolli

Thankfully it has warmed up a bit at our house. I know there are stray cats out there. The problem is that when you call the animal shelters they are full and can't come and get the cats. It breaks my heart but we can't feed/save them all. I wish I could though.