Spaying For Behavior?

Aletha

I just got a new dog and although she is 3-4 years old, she has not been spayed. I have an appointment to get her spayed next Friday. My question is, will this calm her down a bit? She is so much older than the other dogs I've had spayed and I didn't know whether to anticipate a slow down or not.

aunaturel

Generally speaking, spaying does tend to settle a dog down quite a bit. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but most dogs do get calmer after they heal up from the procedure. Is she hyper or badly behaved?

Lyra

She will at least stop showing annoying behavior that is related to her mating cycle. It is a pain in the rear with dogs, but it is worse with cats. If you have ever heard a queen in heat, it can be almost unbearable.

Luvkenny

I agree that spaying her will help. I don't know why but it does calm dogs down. Let us know how it worked out. I bet it helps!

SuzyQ

My daughter had her Rottweiler castrated because he was so excitable and, as he was such a big powerful dog, she was afraid of him accidentally hurting someone. He did calm down quite a lot after the operation so I think it's worth doing.