Sour Cream and Yogurt for the Hair

Myrrh

I have just read that for an all-natural hair treatment, you can use sour cream or yogurt. Massage sour cream and yogurt into damp hair and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse then shampoo as normal. The lactic acid in these products removes dirt while the milk fat moisturizes.

SoftRain

That's a new one. I guess it makes for a healthier all-in-one shampoo and conditioner than one you'd buy off the shelf. I'd be paranoid about a sour milk smell developing though.

Alli

That is a new one Myrrh. I have used beer before to make my hair shiny. I've heard that mayonnaise will help condition hair but I've never heard of yogurt and sour cream. Do you have the link to this?

chabella

All Lady
I read something about yogurt the other week saying it was good for something else, besides eating it or using it for your hair. Does it make a difference if it is regular or Greek yogurt?

Luvkenny

Sweet! I have both of these items in my fridge. Is this supposed to moisturize your hair? I have terrible dry scalp and am looking for an all natural treatment.

freshfoodie

I use yogurt mixed with honey and warm olive oil on my hair and it is awesome. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. If you use cool water to rinse with and rinse thoroughly, you don't have to worry about sour milk smells.

Myrrh

I use yogurt mixed with honey and warm olive oil on my hair and it is awesome. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. If you use cool water to rinse with and rinse thoroughly, you don't have to worry about sour milk smells.
Your concoction sounds even more interesting! I think honey and olive oil have become favorite ingredients when it comes to natural beauty treatments.

Chabella, I don't think the article mentioned if the type of yogurt makes a difference, but I will try to check it out.

StarGazer

Mayonnaise works great as a deep conditioning treatment. This is only for occasional use, like once a month, or you'll make your hair too oily. With dry scalp, the best thing is to figure out why you have it and treat the underlying issue. Often, it's caused by washing your hair too often or using water that's too hot.