Sneezing

xenon

I sneeze just about every morning and it drives me bonkers. Especially when I'm eating breakfast and I project bits of food out with the sneeze. :eek: My wife says I should put a finger under my nose as this will stop my sneezing. One thing about wanting to sneeze and not doing so, it's painful. Does anyone else experience this?

Lyra

I wonder if you have allergies, maybe to dust. Do you have down bedding? Some people are allergic to down. You might try encasing your pillows in hypoallergenic cases and see if that helps.

The same thing is happening to me. Every morning I wake up and my nose runs for a good twenty minutes accompanied by sneezing. I don't know what it's about, probably allergies since this is something that seems to have only come on this summer.

gina121

Do you sneeze in all seasons, or does it increase during summer or winter?
Usually, hay fever &/or other allergy are common causes of bouts of sneezing. Sneezing first thing in the morning could also mean a sinus infection, especially if the sneezing is accompanied by nasal discharge or congestion.
Try taking a non-drowsy antihistamine and see if it helps alleviate your symptoms.

dissn_it

I was thinking it may be allergies, too. I am not sure if holding your finger under your nose will stop you from sneezing but I would at least try it and see if it works for you. It will at least make your wife happy that you tried!

beckyv1265

I have sneezing fits due to allergins and dust. I just hold a paper towel over my face so I don't spray whatever is flying out all over my family. That is just rude. I have also found that a good 24 hour antihistamin thats non-drowsy helps.

xenon

I had asthma as a kid and I think now it may have gone to hay-fever so probably is an allergy as suggested. There is no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell on the days I get the sneezes. Maybe I should keep a record.
I am a bit old fashion and carry a handkerchief in my pocket. It has helped on occasion for the flying projectiles while eating. I have taken antihistamine and pseudoephedrine from time to time. Though I'm not big on these kind of drugs.

Sage

It does sound like allergies. I wish I had a runny nose in the morning. Usually, when I wake up I have a stuffy nose and a bit of a sinus headache. Thankfully, a hot shower usually helps.

I believe I identified the cause of my morning sneezing and running nose. In the process of trying to make my home into a garden filled with plants I am growing some cucumber in my bedroom windowsill. Well, what do you know, it finally clicked that I wake up with a running nose and sneezing now that the plant is flowering!

writer811

If I feel a sneeze coming on and I'm in an area or a situation where I don't want to sneeze, I think very quickly to myself; "pineapple". Other people do the same thing. The absurdity of the word and it's usage makes your brain pause for a moment and then the sneeze is forgotten.

xenon

If I feel a sneeze coming on and I'm in an area or a situation where I don't want to sneeze, I think very quickly to myself; "pineapple". Other people do the same thing. The absurdity of the word and it's usage makes your brain pause for a moment and then the sneeze is forgotten.
I'll have to try that one. I'll have to wait for a sneeze to try it out. :)

Pushhyarag2000

This happens to me but just occasionally but when it comes, it is non stop for several minutes. But the good thing is that there is mucus which is about to be ejected and when I do clear, I am normal. I also use a balm that is very effective (Hawper Tiger Balm). It could possibly also be due to sinus or septum deranged or nasal polypi. Smelling raw onion is said to be quite effective in arresting coryza (discharge). For the same reason, Homeopathy prescribes Allium Cepa.

I have a friend that sneezes after every meal he eats. Or during it in some cases. His stomach doesn't produce enzymes fast enough so his body sneezes so it can move things around properly.

xenon

I tried it the other day and saying Pineapple did work. :)
Mind you yesterday I was eating and it all happened so fast, all I had was a shirt sleeve handy. What a mess. I really must carry a tissue or have a serviette handy at all times when I eat.:eek:

writer811

I'm glad it worked! Be careful though, I'm sure that after a while you'll start getting used to it and your brain won't pause when it hears it. If that happens, try getting your relatives to come up with new absurd words (If you try to come up with them yourself, it may not seem so strange to you and therefore has a greater chance of not working).

shaunche

I don't think you should withhold your sneeze, let it out. I sneeze a lot during the summer because I have hay fever, it is really annoying and a sneezing fit will place lots of strain on your stomach. Sneeze into a tissue, don't hold back!

ProForums777

That means there is something within your confinement that is making you sneeze to much. Try adding plants or a different odor to your place, and see what happens. Is all just systematical work. You can even light candles, it might help you as well. Try something that you like though, that way you can keep it for a long time.