Sleeping with windows open

Lyra

Is this something you do? I was thinking the other day about how, in Victorian times, fresh air was thought to be necessary for good health. But that was based on an old theory that has been proven false. Still, it seems like fresh air is a good idea. Does anyone have any credible theories as to how it might be healthful?

SoftRain

I did this when I lived in a very small town. Here it's too populated and also I live by a busy road so I think there'd be too much exhaust.

I do think fresh air is good for people in general, though. It perks up your mood and flushes out some of the dust, allergens, and bacteria building up inside the house.

aunaturel

In Victorian times, they actually shut the windows far more often than they opened them. Right up until the end of the century, people thought disease was caused by miasmas in the air. A change in scenery (and air) was often recommended, such as going to the seashore, but for most of the century, it was believed the windows should be closed up if a person was sick.

chabella

All Lady
I love to do it when we can and I have no issues with a window even being slightly cracked during the chilly months as long as it is not freezing. Our issue is the humidity, there is almost no time to do this during the summer months, winter is a mix of "maybe we can get away with it" and the other season is a total no go.

Lyra

In Victorian times, they actually shut the windows far more often than they opened them. Right up until the end of the century, people thought disease was caused by miasmas in the air. A change in scenery (and air) was often recommended, such as going to the seashore, but for most of the century, it was believed the windows should be closed up if a person was sick.
This is interesting. I guess I was thinking about making kids play outside and the strict adherence to taking babies outside for strolls. I know that windows were closed during illness, but I thought that was meant to contain the sickness. Confusing!

WillieR

We are lucky enough that we can sleep with window fans in the windows at night at least for a certain part of the year. We can't do it for very long though and the pollen count would be murder for me now.

Trudy

I love having the windows open, but I wouldn't dare do it this time of year. We have more pollen than I remember having, and it's coated everything in sight. Opening my windows is just asking for it.

Luvkenny

I am a open window fan too. I would rather have fans in the window over using an air conditioner. I live in the country and our bedrooms are on the second floor. We have our windows open a lot!

Pinkle

We sleep with the window open on cool nights, but if it's hot or humid out, we close the windows and sleep with the A/C going. I love the smell of fresh air!