Skechers Shape-ups False Claims

Sugarhill

I think it was the extent they went to that got them into trouble. There's no denying that they might work out some muscles that aren't used elsewhere if you wear them often enough and long enough.

To act as though they're going to completely reshape your legs and butt, though? That's simply untrue.

Exactly. They set the expectation level way too high and unfortunately, the people that bought the shoes didn't have enough an understanding of the human body and thought this would be another easy way to get into shape.

Jessi

didn't have enough an understanding of the human body and thought this would be another easy way to get into shape.
Unfortunately, that applies to most food, diet, and exercise products. It makes me think of the current lawsuit with Nutella. Because they said it was better than other things or that it was good as part of a balanced breakfast, apparently that made people think that it was suddenly a -good-, healthy thing. What part of sugar-filled *chocolate* spread makes people think it's okay to ignore labels and ingredients and assume it's good for their kids to eat a bunch of? Sigh.

Sugarhill

Unfortunately, that applies to most food, diet, and exercise products. It makes me think of the current lawsuit with Nutella. Because they said it was better than other things or that it was good as part of a balanced breakfast, apparently that made people think that it was suddenly a -good-, healthy thing. What part of sugar-filled *chocolate* spread makes people think it's okay to ignore labels and ingredients and assume it's good for their kids to eat a bunch of? Sigh.

You know, I refuse to believe that people don't know these things. I've decided that they have just chosen to ignore what they know and hope that somebody came up with the next thing to sliced bread. I don't believe in doubting everything that comes along, but look into how you can make it work for you, instead of expecting it to do all of the work.

artistry

People want to believe in things that will be quick and easy fixes. There usually are none, most of the time it is a waste of money. There will be more gimmicks to come.

SifuPhil

Psh - I was around when Earth shoes were the hot thing.

They were never advertised as being good for toning up, just somehow responsible for saving the Earth, although how a pair of negatively-cambered shoes (they were higher in the toes than in the heels) could help save a planet let alone your feet is beyond me.

And, as you can see, they were ugly as sin.

Don't be too quick to jump on bandwagons - they have a nasty tendency of tipping over at the most inconvenient times.

sammilynn

I was tempted at one point when they were first talking about them to try and get a pair myself, I'm glad I didn't now, but at one point, I just kind of thought there was nothing really special about them, so I decided to not waste the money on something that may or may not work. Now I know they don't work.

freshfoodie

I tried on a pair of these awhile back and I just could not walk in them. They are so ridiculously shaped that I felt like I had a rocking chair on my foot. I am not surprised that they don't work like Skechers said they do.

sandooch

I didn't get the actual Sketchers Shapeup shoes, but I got the flip flop version based on all the positive reviews. I wore those sandals every chance I got. I can honestly say that I didn't see one lick of difference. Nothing beats good old-fashioned exercise.

Meow

They were never advertised as being good for toning up, just somehow responsible for saving the Earth, although how a pair of negatively-cambered shoes (they were higher in the toes than in the heels) could help save a planet let alone your feet is beyond me.

Don't be too quick to jump on bandwagons - they have a nasty tendency of tipping over at the most inconvenient times.
I now feel really guilty or hipster for thinking they look good. Possibly both.

It really is a nice brown colour...

Beth23

I have a pair. I hate them. You feel off balance all the time. My lower back began hurting and I have never had back pain before. They really didnt feel like they were working my legs and butt at all.

Frankly I think they are unsafe and unhealthy.

chabella

All Lady
Only hard work pays off in the end, I am surprised so many people fell for this honestly. I mean its a shoe and while I love the brand in general (my daily shoes are Skechers) it seems odd that they would not have had a disclaimer of sorts when they set the shoes live on the market for people to buy.

Esperahol

Dude, like there very humbleness of appearance like totally makes you not want to leave the house. And like never leaving the house mean you either learn to garden or you like die, and either way you are reducing your demands on the Earth (that is our Mother). So, like they are totally saving the planet through like knowledge? Gaia knows man. She like knows...

gina121

The Skechers soles looked too odd and I found it quite a challenge balancing on them when I went to check them out in a store. Instead, I wear the FitFlops off an on, not with a view to shaping my legs but because they are so comfy to walk around in.

Jessi

W...t....f?

I actually kind of like the kangaroo they have, though, hehe. And really, they probably do help with cushion and arch support if you're wearing really crappy shoes like flat flip flops. But why not just buy better shoes in the first place?

And seriously, who is going to take the time to wrap these on before their first pee in the morning....?

SifuPhil

W...t....f?

I actually kind of like the kangaroo they have, though, hehe. And really, they probably do help with cushion and arch support if you're wearing really crappy shoes like flat flip flops. But why not just buy better shoes in the first place?
Yeah, the kangaroo IS kind of cute, but as to what effect these things have on your posture and balance (as they claim) is unknown to me. I just started seeing commercials for these on TV so I HAD to check them out on their site. I think they'd either wear out really fast (hey, I'm 200 pounds - those suckers better be made of titanium) or they're going to cause some MORE problems with the feet.

Like you said, why not just get a better-quality shoe to begin with? I thought I was being smart by trying a pair of K-Mart sneakers (2 pair for $20) - within a few weeks I threw them out, spent $75 on a pair of New Balances and re-learned my lesson.

And seriously, who is going to take the time to wrap these on before their first pee in the morning....?
Well, I don my morning coat before I void my bladder ... ;)

Basil Nut

I love these shoes although I never really thought they would work magic with my exercise program. Still, they are comfortable, and I will continue to buy them. It's no worse than the Reebok recall a couple of years ago.

meowcow

I read about this as well. I'm glad they got called out before a lot of people really bought in to it. I just hate seeing good people waste their money on something false. It's lovely to believe a miracle like this but these days you really have to think twice before buying into anything so quickly.