Skechers Shape-ups False Claims

Myrrh

Honestly, I was almost enticed into buying one of those pairs of Skechers Shape-ups, which claimed to help tone and strengthen your muscles . I am glad that I didn't because I just found out that the Federal Trade Commission concluded that the studies that the company used in their advertisements were false.

Lyra

Oh, wow. It did seem so plausible, didn't it? I have seen people wearing them and have wondered if they worked the way the commercials claim. Guess I know the answer now!

rayne

Just another unfortunate advertising gimick. They sold lots of those shoes and will now have to cough up a bunch of money for false advertising. On another note, my husband loves them. He says they help his back. Go figure.

Honestly, I was almost enticed into buying one of those pairs of Skechers Shape-ups, which claimed to help tone and strengthen your muscles . I am glad that I didn't because I just found out that the Federal Trade Commission concluded that the studies that the company used in their advertisements were false.
I was almost enticed into buying them as well... but I guess it figures. You'll pretty much get fit by walking and running around anyway, right?

What about the fit flops? Those were pretty similar, I think... perhaps those were illegitimate as well?

chabella

All Lady
I remember reading something about that a few months back, I guess they have settled the entire case at this point. A few others mentioned it being too good to be true, darn good thing we did not fall for that load of bologna.

hunysukle

I was actually really close to buying a pair of those shoes. They seem so enticing, especially how the commercials and magazine ads make them appear. There are other tennis shoes that also make similar claims. I wonder if there are any shoes that actually tone your lower body?

Luvkenny

I just heard about it too - it was last week. I had to laugh! Seriously who thought that by just wearing a pair of sneakers, your legs, butt and other areas would be toned? I did not buy into that false claim.

lovelikewinter3

Makes sense! I bought a pair for my spouse, but not for the shape-up qualities. They have definitely helped her tendon strength in her ankles as well as increased her arch support that normal shoes just don't provide. I'm not surprised that the advertising was false, I'm glad I didn't get suckered into it. I tried on a few pairs, but they just weren't comfortable for me.

Ankh

Tsk Tsk Tsk.
Poor Skechers they used to be so big when I was in High School and Middle School. They seemed to have just fell off over the years.

shaunche

Haha, I think I have seen the Sketchers Shape-up commercial. Kris Jenner promotes the shoes in the advert. I thought the claims were spurious and laughable. I suppose some people are gullible and believe whatever they are told.

Sugarhill

Makes sense! I bought a pair for my spouse, but not for the shape-up qualities. They have definitely helped her tendon strength in her ankles as well as increased her arch support that normal shoes just don't provide. I'm not surprised that the advertising was false, I'm glad I didn't get suckered into it. I tried on a few pairs, but they just weren't comfortable for me.
It's not so much that the claims were false as much as they were impossible. When you first get the shoes, you will feel a difference in your legs and thighs because the intention of the shoe is there, but you can't keep using the same amount of stimulus and expect what they were saying could happen.

It was destined to be a temporary thing outside of what was bolded in the quoted comment.

KerryME

Seriously, if shoes could do that we would all be walking around toned and perfect. Unfortunately, there is just no simple solution. Diet and exercise are the only answer. Take it from me I had gastric bypass surgery and gained more than half the weight back so I know that diet and exercise are the ONLY answer. So, back to the treadmill, elyptical, stairmaster we all go...

Esperahol

The other thing was that people were reporting injuries from being constantly off-balanced. Personally if you are going to walk yourself to health, you don't need a pair of specially-made sneakers.

Randomhero

Do you really believe a pair of shoes would strengthen your muscles? Hard work and dedication promotes change in your body. Thats all my friends ^_^.

Sugarhill

Do you really believe a pair of shoes would strengthen your muscles? Hard work and dedication promotes change in your body. Thats all my friends ^_^.
If you've ever worn the shoes or FitFlops then you would know that they do strengthen muscles, it is just that they will not be able to grow the muscle over a period of time, but it's no different from what the Vibrams were doing. They were causing you to walk differently from what you were doing before and properly, thus strengthening the muscles in your feet, ankles and legs.

They have benefits, but they are limited in their scope.

I am trying to figure out who could think just changing their shoes would give them a better shape. I mean who can even fall for a trick like this? It would be nice if it was this easy to get the shape that we all want to have from simple shoes!

Sugarhill

They aren't simple shoes. You can construct a shoe that causes your body to respond in a certain way. High heels, anyone? The process behind these types of shoes are no different from the types of shoes that young basketball players will wear to build up their calves.

If you go take a mile walk in those Skechers or Fit Flops, you will feel completely different than you would in a regular pair of Skechers or thick flip flops.

I never believed those shoes could help tone your lower body. It takes more than a pair of $100 sneakers to get or stay in good shape.

Jessi

I think it was the extent they went to that got them into trouble. There's no denying that they might work out some muscles that aren't used elsewhere if you wear them often enough and long enough.

To act as though they're going to completely reshape your legs and butt, though? That's simply untrue.