Sinus Rinses

jolee

One healthy practice is the use of a sinus rinse. A sinus rinse consists of flowing a saline solution through nasal passages. Neti pots are by far the most common way to do this, and they work well. My new favorite way to do this, though, is with a product made by NeilMed. It is a soft plastic bottle that you squeeze gently into each nostril. I like it better because I can control the pressure of the flow.

SoftRain

I had a neti pot once and I really hated the sensation of the saline solution flooding my sinuses. I ended up getting rid of it. I'm glad you like yours though.

jolee

I guess with a neti pot, you can't control the pressure. What I'm using is not actually a neti pot. I can control the flow/pressure, so it's a bit better, I think. It's still quite an odd sensation, though. But to me, the results are worth it.

chabella

All Lady
I have that and I love it. On really bad weeks like this one I use it about 2-3 times and it works great. Nothing works better than I have tried so far. And now since I am using it more I can take less sinus pills which is always a blessing.

Primrose

I admire all of you that use the Neti pot or anything similar. I cannot even fathom shooting water up my nose. I'm afraid I'd drown. I know plenty of folks that use this cleansing method but I just can't get past the thought.

chabella

All Lady
There is no need to admire, I felt the same way before I tried it. And it does take practice before you become a master at it, kind of like an art form.

Luvkenny

There is no way I'm shooting anything up into my nose to clear my sinuses. I'm just afraid that something bad will happen. I take meds to control this although I don't want to. My doctor has never suggested a sinus rinse.

Elberberry

I have heard never tried a saline rinse. I probably should with all the sinus problems and allergies I have. I know about nasal sprays but have never heard of neti pots. Exactly what are they?

SoftRain

Here's a picture of a neti pot. You fill it with the saline solution and pour it into your nostril. The trick is getting the angle right so it flushes out the sinuses instead of going down your throat.

Cassia

I learned about neti pots when I suffered from chronic sinusitis last year, but I didn't try using one. Pouring a saline solution into my nostrils seemed scary. I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it right.

chabella

All Lady
The neti pot works the same was as the neti bottle does, you control the flow of the water so there is no random surprise unless you plan to pour enough like you are trying to water board yourself which I do not suggest. The first time around might be odd but after that it is very easy to get the hang of.

herbalnut

I've never heard of this product before. Honestly, I'm a little scared of doing a sinus rinse. I'd be afraid of it burning my nostrils like when you forget to hold your nose while swimming... From what you're saying, it's not like that?