Shingles

Basil Nut

My father has passed away now, but years ago he had an awful case of shingles that almost drove him mad. No doctor was able to help him until he went to an acupuncturist. I always thought that type of medicine bordered on quackery until it worked for my dad. We have a friend with shingles now, and I'm going to suggest acupuncture, although it sounds far-fetched.

chabella

All Lady
I know many people who still call anyone a quack but in the end about 90% of those who take the chance are wondering why they never did "years before". It surprises me really. I never rule anything out unless its something that has been proven to not work for me, and remember what works for some might not work for all. :)

Green Envy

This brings up a memory I had long ago when I was first married. We lived next to an older lady who was always working in her garden out back. She stayed bent over from the waist. We saw more of that lady's tush than I can possibly tell. By day she was a chiropractor. We saw the other end of her on a regular basis. I always think of her tush when I think of chiropractors for some reason. I'm sure she helped many a person feel better.

ShelbyM

I know many people who still call anyone a quack but in the end about 90% of those who take the chance are wondering why they never did "years before". It surprises me really. I never rule anything out unless its something that has been proven to not work for me, and remember what works for some might not work for all. :)
This is my mindset as well. I think a lot of people get nervous when you start talking about a treatment outside the mainstream, but I don't know why. I think it's sort of weird that we have the idea that the only effective treatments come from modern medicine.

Patinka

Just think about it. Modern medicine once had doctors pulling out their jars of leeches they turned loose on their patients. I'll take an acupuncturist with tiny sterile needles any day over slimy, blood-thirsty leeches. Yet the practice was sanctioned by the medical communities of the time. We've come a long way, baby!

DixieMarie

I'm always willing to try something a little different as long as I know it won't actually kill you. And yes, what works for one may not for another so that person it didn't work for probably won't have a lot of good things to say about the treatment. I do try to keep an open mind about things like that.

naturelady

What I think is hilarious is how the medical establishment, when they can't think of a real reason to use to convince people not to use alternative treatment, will say you shouldn't use an herb or the like. The reason is because it might keep you from seeking treatment from a doctor.

chabella

All Lady
I am not against all medical practices but I am against spending thousands on things that can be taken care of at home. If I walk in with a cold that I can tend to, and someone else comes in with a huge car wreck with more issues than just my cold, I am wasting their time. That is just how I feel about it I guess.

gemini

Some people are so entrenched in their ideas about "modern medicine" that you can't have a conversation with them. If you even mention alternative medicine, they act as if you are advocating cure by Ouija board. That's why I no longer bother, and seek out people of like minds such as those on this forum.

wanderingherb

Oh Heaven's. Shingles are awful, just awful and painful and uncomfortable and sooo hard to get rid of. The doctors do what they can, but sometimes they just can't treat it everything they try does not work.

I say if a person has the opportunity to safely receive complementary modes to assist, go for it. That stuff is WICKED. Always check the certifications.

Wandering Herb

Lorelei

I was in the drug store this morning and noticed a pamphlet on Shingles on the back counter. Since they only had about six pamphlet holders, I thought it was interesting that they were pushing that one. Then I found out that Shingles vaccinations are really expensive and some special regulations. It didn't hurt that the pharmacist's mother had suffered a debilitating case of shingles about ten years ago.

emerald

Shingles are caused by the immune system reactivating again because of chicken pox. For some reason when we get old our immune system becomes weaker and we react differently to the environment. Since acupunture is good at treating allergies I'm guessing that it can help treat shingles in older people. I have always thought that in a case of shingles one can take a clove of garlic a day and consume lots of vitamin c. I think these two things can greatly increase the immune system's response to potential viruses and the like.