Shelter forced to destroy deer meat

Lyra

Has anyone else heard this story? There are hunters in Louisiana who have been donating commercially processed and packaged venison to homeless shelters for years. Someone complained and the government confiscated 1600 pounds of the meat, poured bleach over it, and dumped it.

I understand having regulations to keep unsuspecting folks safe from improperly prepared foods. But these hunters have apparently been doing this for some time without incident. I don't really understand what could be wrong with the meat. And does that mean you can't donate food you've grown, for instance?

Primrose

It only takes one mis-guided person to create such an incident. What a waste of food! This is the kind of thing that happens with too much governmental control. I hope those hunters will keep donating to the needy folks in their area. It would be a shame to see this end.

nutti

I understand why they did it... some people are crazy. They could donate tainted meat and make a large number of people sick. It is a shame! Think about the lawsuit though if someone got sick.

detoxing

It was commercially processed, not done at home, nutti. This is an absolutely ridiculous abuse of power on the part of the local government, in my opinion. They'd rather let people go hungry? Really? Whoever complained should be totally ashamed of themselves.

freshfoodie

In this instance maybe the hunters would be better served to find some needy families in their area, and give the meat to them directly. It is horrible that all that food had to be destroyed, but you would think that the shelters would know what is acceptable for donation. I know my local shelter tells us exactly what is and is not acceptable for donation.

Cobbler

In agreement with freshfoodie. Keep this sort of thing more local, more personal and more under the radar. If you don't, and catch the attention of the Feds, then no good deed will go unpunished.

sPeeDeeBee

Don't know about elsewhere, but here in WI many of our deer have been diagnosed with "chronic wasting disease." It's a brain disease similar to mad cow disease, so deer harvested in particular regions must be destroyed, just like cattle with the disease (mainly in Great Britain, most recently). The disease occurs in humans, too, so that's why folks get so exercised about it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD