Seeds 101

I'm trying to start a small garden from seeds. Recently, I read that you can distinguish a live seed from a dead seed by soaking it in water overnight. If it's alive, it will sink to the bottom and if it's dead, it will float indefinitely. I decided to try it and sure enough, some of my seeds sank and 2 floated, even after soaking overnight. Have you ever used this method before, and did it work for you? Did you plant the seeds that sank and produce plants from them?

I use this when it is time for me to prepare the seeds for the winter time holdings. Other than that I just soak them in a paper towel inside of a plastic bag overnight. This seems to help them germinate rather quickly and removes the doubt of them being ready.

I use this when it is time for me to prepare the seeds for the winter time holdings. Other than that I just soak them in a paper towel inside of a plastic bag overnight. This seems to help them germinate rather quickly and removes the doubt of them being ready.

jason

Have a great day
I can honestly say I do not remember ever hearing that before. It is a neat trick and I may have to try it.

I planted the seeds that sank yesterday so I will keep this thread up to date and let everyone know if they sprout plants or not! Does anyone know how long it will take before I see something above the surface of the soil?

fallace

It would make sense that this works. If the seed is alive, it'll take in water and sink to the bottom, if it is not, nothing will happen.

At the very least, give it a shot, and see what happens, I may try it myself now.

dissn_it

I planted the seeds that sank yesterday so I will keep this thread up to date and let everyone know if they sprout plants or not! Does anyone know how long it will take before I see something above the surface of the soil?
It will depend on what type of plant the seed is for. Some plants will break the surface faster than others. There is also a factor in how deep the seed is planted to consider as well.

I have heard of the float vs sink test before but never used it myself. It will be interesting to see how your experiment works out. Keep us posted!

dziomek

I have never tried this method, but it would sure eliminate a lot of unviable seeds planted. I usually just plant extra and thin if necessary. This is a good tip to keep in mind, which will all but eliminate the thinning process if all of the seeds planted are viable.