Round Bruises

Victoria

My friend came over after getting acupuncture because she wanted to show me her back. It was covered in round purple bruises. I told her it look like bologna. It looked very strange to me! What is the purpose of this technique and what is it called?

I<3Peppermint

NO treatment from a chiropractor should result in bruising. There is something wrong with that treatment. I've gone to a chiropractor for years and have NEVER been bruised. She needs to find another practitioner.

Victoria

The thing is, I don't know if they are actually bruises or just look like bruises. She said they didn't hurt but I haven't really talked to her about it since. She made it sound like it was supposed to cause the spots.

StingingNettle

Is it possible that she got cupping done? I don't really know anything about it, but what I do know is that they put a cup on the body and the suction leaves sort of a hickey-type mark on the skin. Maybe her acupuncturist also does this technique?

Victoria

Yes, that's how she described it! The marks do look like a combination of a bruise and a hickey. I wonder what the benefit is of cupping?

StingingNettle

I wonder too! I first heard of it several years ago when an entertainment program showed a photo of Gwyneth Paltrow with some round bruises on her back and they mentioned the practice of cupping. I thought it sounded crazy, but I have to think of all the things I do now that sounds crazy to other people! LOL

Victoria

I read up on it a bit and apparently it comes from Chinese medicine. There isn't a lot of evidence to suggest that it does much, except for personal anecdotes. People say it helps relieve arthritis and congestion. I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon.

StingingNettle

Huh. Is that all it is supposed to do? Hardly seems worth it, unless it really works well. Thanks for sharing what you found out about this practice.

chabella

All Lady
That is very weird and I have never seen anything like that either. My first guess is that something was done incorrectly, have the friend get checked out by another doc ASAP!

boobah

I have seen this before. Either it was done incorrectly or your friend could have a medical issue. I had a friend who was tired all the time so she went to get acupuncture. She ended up with the same bruises. I urged her to go to the doctor and it turns out she was tired because she was anemic, which is why she bruised so easily. That doesn't mean that is what is going on in this case, but I wouldn't take chances.

question

I watched a friend get acupuncture and it freaked me out. I mean I respect it and all that, but I hate needles. It never hurts to ask a doctor about these things, better to be safe than sorry.

Victoria

I was under the impression from the reading that the spots were supposed to result from the procedure. They weren't painful at all, I was just curious what the procedure was.