Raw Diet For Dogs

Weezle

I heard someone expounding on this issue the other day on TV. They were talking about how dogs always ate a raw diet before they became pets and we should give them raw meat and vegetables now. I'm not sure this would be appropriate since dogs have been bred to be pets now. I have made my own dog food before with cooked chicken, rice and some vitamins as per my vet's instructions. I am not convinced, how about you?

I<3Peppermint

I agree with you. I don't think that dogs now, are like the dogs that we started out with. I could see the raw diet if they were still wolves but they have evolved too much to go back to that now.

CrunchyMama

Nope, I think that dogs' systems are still optimized for raw. I have a friend whose dogs regularly are fed raw chicken and raw rabbit and they are thriving. (I will add, though, that these are bred at their own farm so they know the chickens and rabbits are disease-free and parasite-free.)

Irma

I have read the same thing. I supplement my two dogs' diets with raw ground beef. They turn inside out for it, so I think there may be some credence to the theory.

When we adopting a small dog from a lady several months ago that is all she fed her dogs and cats was raw food and wanted to be sure we did this too. Now I'm not really against it and do think it's good for them. But, it can be kind of expensive if you have several animals and this one dog kept wanting to run around the house with his raw chicken! So we try to feed them some here and there but mostly a good quality dog food.