PMS and Plant-based Iron

Cassia

Researchers from the University of Massachusetts Amherst found out that a diet high in plant-based iron can help curb premenstrual syndrome. In the study, the women who consumed iron from plant-based sources were around 40% less likely to develop PMS.

Penelope

I thought very few plants were sources of iron, though? I know spinach has a lot of iron and raisins, but what other plant-based iron sources are there? Hopefully, it's something my teenagers will eat because I'd love to tone down their PMS - with three of them, someone is always experiencing PMS.

Cassia

I thought very few plants were sources of iron, though? I know spinach has a lot of iron and raisins, but what other plant-based iron sources are there? Hopefully, it's something my teenagers will eat because I'd love to tone down their PMS - with three of them, someone is always experiencing PMS.
The article that described the research findings also gave the link to a fitness blog which had a list of ten iron-rich plant foods. The list includes dried herbs, spinach and leafy greens, sesame seeds, pumpkin, and black beans.

jolee

Thank you, Cassia. This is really cool to know. I already eat some of the foods mentioned, but I think I will increase my intake and see if it helps.