Pets eating grass

Primrose

Since I was a child, all of my pets have been indoor, outdoor pets because I just don't believe in keeping them inside all the time. In the spring, I notice that my current cat, is trying to eat his weight in young tender grass. I know it's healthy but I'm concerned he will eat too much. Any thoughts on this?

Luvkenny

I wouldn't worry unless he starts to puke it up. I thought that cats ate grass when their tummies were upset. Maybe your cat is just not feeling well. I have two indoor cats - I don't see a problem with having indoor only cats. I've had too many killed in the road.

aunaturel

I don't know how true this is, but I was always told that cats and dogs eat grass when they're trying to clean out their system. It's like using paregoric for us (for those of you who remember being dosed with that nasty stuff when you were kids!).

chabella

All Lady
aunaturel I have heard the same thing but our inside and outside kitty does this never with a reaction like that. Our dog does it too and I think they both just like the taste of it. I guess meat is not the only thing in their diets afterall.