Pets and Tomato Products

Primrose

I have always heard never to let your pets eat tomato products. That would include catsup, spaghetti sauce and other things containing tomatoes. Is this true or have I been misinformed?

detoxing

I have never heard of tomato being a problem for pets of any kind. Do you remember what they're supposed to do to the pet or were you not told any details?

Sage

I know they are bad for horses. I did have a dog throw up one time when I gave her some tomato sauce. I just didn't think anything about it and she wanted it, so I let her have some. I won't make that mistake again.

Lyra

I haven't heard that. My mom used to have a cat who loved tomato sauce. My mom told me she'd heard it was due to the garlic. She said cats were supposed to love the flavor of garlic.

Primrose

You all peaked my interest so I looked it up. Here is what I found. It seems what I had heard was correct. I haven't checked on cats yet. That will be my next step.

chabella

All Lady
I have not heard this myself but our pets never go near our food except for about twice a year when during a BBQ one of the dogs always sneaks a hotdog off a child's plate when they are not looking. Are you sure it was tomato based products and not something else?

Aletha

I had no idea that could be a problem. I certainly won't be giving my dogs any more tomatoes. But then, they don't get a whole lot of "people food" anyway. I know they can't have onions, garlic, chives or any of the allium family so they don't get any of those but I certainly appreciate that article.