Pears , pears everywhere.

beckyv1265

Last weekend we went to our land and harvested the pear crop. I like to process them before the deer eat them all. lol Now I am up to my ears in pears. Hey, that almost rhymes. Pers are a really great food thats hypo-allergenic and has been used as a food for thousands of years. They are full of good nutrients including vitamin C and potassium. They also contain hydroxiecinnamic acid that have antibacterial and anticancer benefits. I have canned them and froze some and even dried a few batches for long term storage. What are your favorite ways to eat pears? How do you prepare them?

ohiotom76

I could never really get much into the taste of pears for some reason, not sure why. But I heard they're really good poached in wine.

claudine

I don't prepare pears, I just wash them carefully and I eat them raw. In my opinion they're the best this way. I've heard about pear cake, but I don't think it would be tasty. Pears are so delicious raw, they taste like sugar with fruit juice!

shaunche

How do you can and dry the pears? We have a surplus of blackberries, we usually freeze the surplus and use the blackberries throughout winter. Blackberries are very expensive so it's good to have frozen blackberries for when you need them. Could I dry blackberries?

Esperahol

I cut my pears in half and butter them. I then sprinkle with cinnamon and a bit of sugar before placing them in an oven. On a bad day I may top them with vanilla bean ice cream. I love Asian Pears best.

artistry

I think that I have had poached pears before, but I usually just eat pears raw. I love pearsany kind of pears. Give me more.

beckyv1265

How do you can and dry the pears? We have a surplus of blackberries, we usually freeze the surplus and use the blackberries throughout winter. Blackberries are very expensive so it's good to have frozen blackberries for when you need them. Could I dry blackberries?
When I can them I just cut them in halves or pieces and cover them in a simpl syrupI do treat them with lemon juice to prevent oxidation. Sometimes I add cinnamon ans ginger to them. When I dry them I pretreat with lemon water and then place in my dehydrator. When theyu are dry chips than I vacume seal them and place in my long term supplies. I also make pear sauce like apple sauce . I also like pear pies and tarts so I do prepare the pears by cooking them slightly with a sauce in butter with apple pie spices and then freeze them for easy pie or cake mix.

beckyv1265

You can dry any berry. I love to do strawberry's and add them to the childrens cereal. When I make pancakes with dried berries I soak them first till the soften up.

beckyv1265

I cut my pears in half and butter them. I then sprinkle with cinnamon and a bit of sugar before placing them in an oven. On a bad day I may top them with vanilla bean ice cream. I love Asian Pears best.
Oh man I do love Vanilla bean Ice Cream. Do you make your own or do you like a particular brand. I used to make my own on the farm where I grew up. My other favorites are fresh peach and Maple ice cream. Oh I almost forgot coffee ice cream. Lol Well really is there any bad ice cream out there? I am not sure what type of pears these are. They are very sweet and large but I am not a pear expert.

Esperahol

Oh man I do love Vanilla bean Ice Cream. Do you make your own or do you like a particular brand. I used to make my own on the farm where I grew up. My other favorites are fresh peach and Maple ice cream. Oh I almost forgot coffee ice cream. Lol Well really is there any bad ice cream out there? I am not sure what type of pears these are. They are very sweet and large but I am not a pear expert.
I sometimes make my own, but I'll be the first to admit it's more of a custard in consistency. I also like the one from Bluebell and there is this wonderful one that comes in a jar. I forget the name, but it is expensive so I rarely get it. Other favorites are coconut and Barley's Creme served with coffee. I happen to love Asian Pears because they are more savory then sweet. There is this buttery taste to them that I really love.

shaunche

I love coffee ice cream too, one of my favorite flavors. I make my own ice cream for the ice cream sold at the supermarkets is not real ice cream, the ingredients used are horrible. Making your own is easy and a lot cheaper than buying the vegetable fat ice cream pumped with air.

jovan107

I prefer to eat pears raw or use them in my homemade tropical salad. I normally make the salad using pineapple, kale, a hint of basil, pear, and mangoes. I normally served this salad with a side of grilled meat and butternut squash or sweet potatoes.

Esperahol

I prefer to eat pears raw or use them in my homemade tropical salad. I normally make the salad using pineapple, kale, a hint of basil, pear, and mangoes. I normally served this salad with a side of grilled meat and butternut squash or sweet potatoes.
I how does the pineapple and kale taste? I mean is it sort of salty and such?

Lena51

My favorite way to eat pears is when they are sour and I cut them up and put some salt on them and eat them that way. The other way is to can them for the cold winter months making a pear perserve or something like that out of them. Other than that I really don't care for them. I am really not a pear lover unless they are sour right of the tree.

jovan107

I how does the pineapple and kale taste? I mean is it sort of salty and such?
Personally, its not salty, for my taste buds, it tastes refreshing. I limit the amount of kale I use to make sure the flavors blend together well with the other ingredients.

Esperahol

Personally, its not salty, for my taste buds, it tastes refreshing. I limit the amount of kale I use to make sure the flavors blend together well with the other ingredients.
Ah, the kale made me think of salt and the pineapple made me think it would be sour. But I suppose the basil would be refreshing and the pears sweet. I don't really like mangoes.

Lena51

I love any fruit like apples, peaches, oranges, pears, tomatoes with salt. Any time they are not ripe all the way I just love it. Tomatoes are a different story though, I eat those when they are ripe with salt, loving it. Try them and see how you like it and you might want to eat them all the time like I do. I can't stand sweet fruits like apples unless its in my tuna fish.

jovan107

Ah, the kale made me think of salt and the pineapple made me think it would be sour. But I suppose the basil would be refreshing and the pears sweet. I don't really like mangoes.
I only purchase whole pineapples that I have to peel and cut into small pieces. I buy it from Costco when its in season and I leave it to ripe for 2-3 days before I use it and its very sweet. You can substitute ingredients I use in my salad and use your favorite fruits and herbs instead.