Organic?

greentea

Do you think it is necessary to grow herbs organically? I think it will be great if you don't use chemical fertilizers and pesticides when growing herbs, especially because the plants are to consume.

SuzyQ

I grow everything without additives because I can and because I don't see the point in buying chemicals that you don't need. What annoys me is the way organic is now sold at a much higher price than anything else!

Change

I don't need to put things on the herbs I grow. Most of them are not good to insects anyway so I use good compost and grow away.

Glinda

I try to avoid using pesticides as much as possible, but sometimes I have no choice. I live in the south and there are some pretty large and strange insects around here. I have tried concocting my own natural "pesticides," but I haven't had much success with that so far.

NatureMom

Herbs I grow indoors so I need no pesticides. I learned a hard lesson last year though when I lost a crop of veg to cabbage white butterflies so will have some hard thinking to do before I come to planting again.

Treehugger

I am planning on planting my first garden in a few weeks and one thing I plan to plant a lot of are different herbs. I am planning on doing my whole garden organically and am hoping that I do well. I can't wait to pluck stuff out of my garden and use it!

Natural

I guess we need to grow our herbs indoors or inside a greenhouse if there are many insects in our area. I know that it will be an added job for us if we setup the greenhouse but at least our herbs will be safe from the insects.

Herby

I grow everything without additives because I can and because I don't see the point in buying chemicals that you don't need. What annoys me is the way organic is now sold at a much higher price than anything else!
You'd think because pesticides aren't being used that it would lower the cost of production but it's the other way around. Annoys me, too. Getting back to the question, I don't use chemicals either since I grow mine indoors.

captain

I've learned that there are some plants that would help deter pests from getting into your garden. I can't remember exactly what type of plants they are and what kind of insects they prevent from getting into your garden. Maybe someone can offer advice on what kind of plants they are.