Orange slices and olive oil

Sage

Has anyone ever made a candle using the skin of an orange and olive oil? I saw this on Facebook. You cut the orange in half and clean it out. Fill the half with olive oil and put a small wick in the middle. The candles looked neat in the pictures, but I haven't had a chance to buy any wicks yet.

Esperahol

How do you get the empty rind to retain it's shape especially with the oil in there? Also is there an associated scent involved or is it only asthetics?

Sage

In the picture that I saw the halves looked like little bowls. I think one person that did try it commented that there was a slight olive oil smell, but I don't remember if she said she could still smell the orange scent or not. I think it is more for decoration. In the picture it was used as a centerpiece.

Esperahol

Ah, thankyou for answering my questions. I don't think this is something for me, but I hope you enjoy it.

shaunche

I see these orange candles a few months ago on a home crafts website. I tried it and it worked well, it looks nice and I love the orange fragrance. If only it worked with lemon, I love the smell of lemon, probably my favourite scent.

beckyv1265

They are fun to make and you can use any oil. You can find some scented lamp oils to use. They do make pretty light and decorations. its the same concept of lighing the pumpkins. The light glowing through the skin is pretty.

That is really neat. I have never made these before or have ever heard of them. Sounds like they would be really neat to make though. It would be great for camping. If you do end up making them, post a picture so we can see how they glow!

Laurasav

I think that sounds really cool! I've never heard of doing this before, but I love candles and I have several around the house, lighting them on a regular basis. I'd keep this one in the kitchen though in case it made a mess with that oil somehow. I wouldn't want anything like that on my tables in the livingroom!

Cassia

I haven't seen or tried this type of candles, but it does sound so neat that I am thinking of trying it out ! I wonder if you can use other essential oils for a nice scent.

beckyv1265

Yes u can add any scent to the oils. They are just a tempoary candle though because the orange does not last long. They are for a one time party use. They just make very cool lights. I found that cuties or tangerine work best becasue its easier to get the peel off without damaging it.

Nina

We did something like this a few years ago, but instead of using oranges, we used lemons and limes. I suppose it's the same concept. We were going after a visual display on a dining room table in a store window and the smell didn't make a difference.

iampeebs

I made these years ago and the above posters are right, they don't add to the smell. They are really pretty and I love being able to say that I made that. I do have to say that I wish I had thought to scent mine with orange too.

Lucinda

I'd forgotten all about these candles. We used to make them when we were first married and use them for our romantic dinners. I should surprise my husband one night this week. I wonder if he even remembers them.

SoftRain

That is a pretty neat idea! It'd be hard for me to get the peel off without damaging it though. I think I'd rather use some sort of orange or other citrus oil so that more of that smell would emanate through the room.

Claudette

I some of these out a few years ago, and I remember how good the house smelled. Thanksgiving would be the perfect time to get this going again. Who doesn't like a clean smelling kitchen?

Lyra

I've seen those tutorials, too. They look so cool! It is a shame that they don't smell like orange. Though I do have some EO I could add. My worry would be that they would be easily tipped over. What a mess...and fire hazard!...that would be.

WeepingWillow

Interesting. I will have to try making a couple. Even if you can't really smell them, they would still look pretty and unique. I just hope they don't tip over at any time throughout the day.

Aconite

I have never tried it but I do know they work because I used to have a friend who made them constantly. Every time I walked into her place, it would smell like oranges. I didn't mind it actually.