Only one per year

freshfoodie

I just found out that my insurance will only pay for one pap exam a year. I need to get a second one this year because I failed my yearly exam 6 months ago. Now I need to pay almost $100 out of pocket for this second exam. What a pain in the rear.

Luvkenny

Odd! I have never heard of any insurance not covering an exam if it is needed. It stinks! Still I think $100 is pretty cheap for an out of pocket pap smear. I would think it would be much more expensive than that.

SoftRain

Have you talked to the insurance company to make sure a second one isn't covered? Usually they only cover one as long as things are fine but will also cover follow-up exams if the first one comes back irregular. If you do have to pay out of pocket, maybe you should consider getting it at a clinic that charges on a sliding scale.

Good luck!

freshfoodie

SoftRain, yes I have talked to them. The $100 is from Planned Parenthood on their sliding fee. The nurse told me that is the lowest that it goes. It isn't a lot, true, but July is a bad month for me to try to come up with the extra.

Lyra

That stinks. And not only do you have to spend the extra $100, you had to get a second test. Yuck! I'm glad you were at least able to get the sliding scale. I didn't think places did that if you have insurance.