Older kitty

Lyra

My kitty is 12. That doesn't seem that old to me, but she is showing signs of her age. She gravitates toward soft surfaces to sleep on now and she seems to have less of an appetite most days. She has slowly lost some weight over time. Seeing these changes makes me worried that she doesn't have long left. How long do senior kitties go on like this? Do we still have a few years left to enjoy our girl?

SuzyQ

Poor old girl! I think 12 is quite a good age for a cat, although you may well have her for a few more years yet. She probably won't want to do much but eat and sleep and, if her quality of life is still good, you will still be able to enjoy her company.

rayne

12 is a good age for a cat but I'll bet she's not ready for kitty heaven yet. Our last cat was 23 when we lost her and we all cried like babies because she was a family member. You may want to look into some Cosequin for cats if she acts like she has stiff joints. This did wonders for our old girl. Just love her. That's all she needs.

Lyra

12 is a good age for a cat but I'll bet she's not ready for kitty heaven yet. Our last cat was 23 when we lost her and we all cried like babies because she was a family member. You may want to look into some Cosequin for cats if she acts like she has stiff joints. This did wonders for our old girl. Just love her. That's all she needs.
What a wonderful idea! I have been supplementing her diet with bone broth when I have it and she seems to like that. I was noticing just this morning on the cod liver oil bottle that it is good for joints. I wonder if she would benefit from a bit squirted on her food? I bet she would be more than willing to eat some fish oil.

aunaturel

12 is old for a cat as the average lifespan of a female cat is about 15. She could live longer than that, though, if she's in good health because just like people, our pets are living longer, too.

Cobbler

Looking into nutritional supplements and food formulated for aging cats is a good thing to do. Especially when it comes to the joints. My oldest is about 8 now, so she has a few more years before I have to concern myself with that.

chabella

All Lady
We have one who is six and another who is four right now and they still have their earlier senior moments. My childhood cat was about 19-20 before she passed and the one my husband had was about the same age. I think you have plenty of time left with your little buddy but get the stiff joints checked out, that can be a true killer for a cat's mood.