Oatmeal Shampoo

Pinkle

I have two dogs, one of which is constantly biting at her rear end, despite the fact that she doesn't have fleas. Since the weather has recently changed here and the air is so much dryer and colder now, I'm thinking maybe she has dry skin. Would an oatmeal shampoo help?

Luvkenny

I bet it would! I would use warm water (not too hot) and that shouldn't dry out the skin more. If she keeps digging you might want to call the vet. The vet might have something you can use to help with the dryness.

Pinkle

Thanks for the suggestion, Luvkenny. I hate to take her to the vet over something minor, since it's always so expensive, but I know if she doesn't stop scratching soon, it's not going to be "something minor" for much longer.

Valerienne

I didn't know oatmeal had moisturizing effect on animal skin. But if it doesn't work out, or you want to try something easier than shampoo, add some fat to her diet. Chicken or turkey skin has very good fat for dogs, as well as salmon oil which is slightly more expensive, but it has lots of great nutrients.

The scratching can also be allergy, Pinkle. Check if her skin doesn't seem red. Dogs are prone to developing food allergy if they eat the same kind of food for a long time. I think chicken and cereals are the most common allergens.