Nutella Lawsuit

HAES3637

Oh I HATED those commercials. I am glad the lawsuit went through because Nutella was just outright lying about it's product nutritional value. I also hated that the commercial that I saw seemed to promote the idea of a single piece of toast constituted a full breakfast for a growing child!

Yes, people should have some common sense and be able to read labels but why should we believe the product's labels have the right information on them when the commercials were chock full of lies too? So in my opinion the lawsuit is a good and necessary thing because it dragged Nutella's lying out into the public spotlight and reminded people that they can't just trust everything a corporation tells them. It also forces the government to enforce it's own laws concerning false advertising.

shaunche

Hopefully this will send out a warning to other food manufacturing companies. These companies will bend the rules and do what they can to misinform the public via advertising, advertising is basically legalized lying. I'm glad Nutella has been punished for their ludicrous claims.

Anna T

Well I think it's good they are having to pay. They do really want to seem like a healthy option, but you just can't get around the fact the stuff is very sugary. This equals not all that healthy no matter how you try to spin things.

That said, I do like the taste. I don't buy it often though because it's a little pricey for me.

Mrs. Rogers

I purchase it once every couple weeks for snacks for my kids. When I lived in Spain it was the first time I ever tasted a chocolate spread. I moved back to the states and never heard of it again. Now, 21 years later I find it on a Target shelf!!! I didn't see it as a healthy food option, just a snack.

Oh I HATED those commercials. I am glad the lawsuit went through because Nutella was just outright lying about it's product nutritional value. I also hated that the commercial that I saw seemed to promote the idea of a single piece of toast constituted a full breakfast for a growing child!

Yes, people should have some common sense and be able to read labels but why should we believe the product's labels have the right information on them when the commercials were chock full of lies too? So in my opinion the lawsuit is a good and necessary thing because it dragged Nutella's lying out into the public spotlight and reminded people that they can't just trust everything a corporation tells them. It also forces the government to enforce it's own laws concerning false advertising.
I read the label to Nutella before deciding to not buy it, and reading the label was what put me off of buying it. There are laws stating that the label has to be correct, and in this case, I'm pretty sure it was correct, because the information on the label was way more off-putting than the commercial.

But commercials are like that. Commercials are subjective to the point of being almost intrinsically false. It's like an online date who describes himself as "handsome" until you see the picture and decide that you don't agree, haha.

Nina

Only in this day and time do we find people who want to blame others for what they put into their own bodies. Death by peanut butter? Just keep the darned jar closed if you don't know how to limit your calories. Don't buy it if you don't want to eat it.

thatgirl

I think there are people who really don't want to think for themselves. Or at least they can rationalize that because "they couldn't say it if it wasn't true" the healthy claims must be true. It's just as bad as some sugary cereal claiming to be "a part of a good breakfast".

ohiotom76

Peanut Butter is reasonably healthy (the real stuff), I don't see why hazel nut butter would be considered so atrociously unhealthy, same goes for cocoa powder.

This is a victory for consumers. Hopefully it will start a trend where more corporations will be held accountable for their misleading or downright false advertisements.

I wonder how they will establish that someone bought a jar of a product several years ago, however.
LOL at this ridiculous response. It isn't Nutella's fault that people ate it and got fat. Who the hell could believe a chocolate hazelnut treat was going to be healthy?

You are treating the consumers like idiots and putting all the blame on the company when people need to take responsibility for their stupid decisions. They barely said it had any sort of healthy option in it other than showing the positive parts about the product, as miniscule as they were.

Esperahol

I hate this lawsuit nonsense, considering how expensive this stuff is that alone should have put most folks off it. And if it didn't, then obviously the consumer has enough extra change to afford exercise equipment or a trainer or some actually low-cal foodstuff.

I think the real question is what exactly is healthy? Take flax seed for example its a wealth of fiber and omegas but it actually has quite a bit of calories per tsp. Personal responsibility doesn't exist anymore it seems. People will believe anything tv says so until people get a clue corporations will continue to prey on the stupid.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk

chabella

All Lady
You know I actually tried this for the first time last weekend when I caught it on a shelf in a little pack with some bread sticks (I picked two up, the husband had the other one). Yes it was good but no one ever told me it was amazingly healthy. Yes being accountable is needed but so is a consumer being able to research before they just whatever they see on TV.

sammilynn

The false advertising is obviously wrong, but how could people honestly believe that it would be healthy for you... it's sugar central in a jar really. People need to be smarter with their food, and read labels, don't take the commercial seriously, because pretty much every company lies. It's the way advertising has, and always will be. I like the taste of it, but I wouldn't eat it all the time. It's good for something quick and different. Sometimes I add a bit to a fruit smoothie for some extra taste, but that's rare. I did't know about this lawsuit, I'm not all that surprised though. They are not the only ones lying either. Activia for example... tastes awful, and does nothing. It's just like every other kind on the shelf with it. Maybe for other people it helps, but I have never heard anyone say it's actually beneficial. So my point is, don't believe ads promoting a product. Read the label, and make your decisions from there.

ghanashyam

Banned
Here in India, after a long battle by NGOs the baby food products companies are placing messages on all food packets that " Mothers milk is best for baby " and that their product is only supplementary. Marketing of food products must have certain guidelines from law.

claudine

I haven't heard about it. Good for customers, Nutella really is trying to convince us in every commercial that it's healthy to eat it. I know it's not the best breakfast, but I still love eating sandwiches with Nutella though, it's just so yummy:p .