Nutella Lawsuit

Hyacinth

Have you read the news about Nutella paying out to consumers who were led to believe that Nutella is a healthy breakfast option? The makers of Nutella are to pay $4 per jar to consumers in accordance with the class action settlement.

moondrop

This is a victory for consumers. Hopefully it will start a trend where more corporations will be held accountable for their misleading or downright false advertisements.

I wonder how they will establish that someone bought a jar of a product several years ago, however.

rayne

I have not heard this. How interesting. I bought a jar about a month ago just to taste it and see what the hype was all about. It's not bad if you like chocolate but it's not too good on toast for breakfast. I've been using it in place of chocolate bars on smores. Maybe they will change their advertising now?

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I definitely think food manufacturers need to be held accountable for the claims they make about their food, and I think when they LIE, the FDA needs to step in and handle the situation accordingly.

On the other hand however, there's a nutrition label on EVERY container and people need to be reading them EVERY time they consider buying a product they're not already familiar with. Just because a commercial claims that chocolate spread is healthy doesn't make it so. Read the nutrition facts and USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!

SoftRain

I thought it was interesting, and I guess technically they owe me $8 since I bought 2 jars in the past couple years. However, I don't have any receipts so how could I possibly collect?

chabella

All Lady
I have always wanted to try it myself but I have never gotten around to it, maybe subconsciously I knew better? I still think people need to have common sense but come on, people sue for anything now-a-days. If we as people give others the option to sue over stupid silly pointless "I have no common sense" things, then who is really to blame?

lettuce

Eh...$20 per household is hardly anything to write home about. I'm really surprised there is a lawsuit about this at all. Manufacturers inflate their claims of healthfulness all the time when it comes to food products. It is really the consumer's responsibility to weed out any bad nutrition.

jason

Have a great day
I thought it was interesting, and I guess technically they owe me $8 since I bought 2 jars in the past couple years. However, I don't have any receipts so how could I possibly collect?
There are people all over the internet talking about getting refunds even though they never bought it. There is no receipt needed.

I honestly never thought of it as a healthy option, no matter what was said. Always used it as a special treat/snack for the kids. But I guess when you can sue McDonalds for making you fat, anything is possible today.

Hyacinth

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I definitely think food manufacturers need to be held accountable for the claims they make about their food, and I think when they LIE, the FDA needs to step in and handle the situation accordingly.

On the other hand however, there's a nutrition label on EVERY container and people need to be reading them EVERY time they consider buying a product they're not already familiar with. Just because a commercial claims that chocolate spread is healthy doesn't make it so. Read the nutrition facts and USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!
I had the same reaction when I got hold of the news. We can't blame it all on the food manufacturers. As a consumer, it is our responsibility to check out the nutritional content of the food products.

dissn_it

This is the first I have heard about it. I haven't bought Nutella in a few years. I just didn't care for it all that much. I used it in a few recipes but that was about all. I don't think they are the only product out there that has mis-led consumers. I am sure that there will be more lawsuits like this one very soon.

hunysukle

Fruit Loops claims they are also a "healthy" breakfast because they contain a few vitamins and minerals within all the sugary garbage. Why are they being sued? Why aren't the companies that sell those 100-calorie snack packs of cookies and crap get sued for claiming people lose weight eating them?

Jessi

I think it's pretty ridiculous actually. People need to learn to read labels and use common sense, too. There's chocolate in it....it's sweet....there's only so much "nutrition" it can bring to the table and they did portray it as being better than some alternatives when -included- with a balanced breakfast, so they were already covering their butts some.

How many people do you really think kept their nutella receipts over the last decade and will bother to cash in on the $4?

Fruit Loops claims they are also a "healthy" breakfast because they contain a few vitamins and minerals within all the sugary garbage. Why are they being sued? Why aren't the companies that sell those 100-calorie snack packs of cookies and crap get sued for claiming people lose weight eating them?
I'm so with you on this one. Companies can make any claim they want, but they're already required by law to put the truth on their nutrition labels. I remember when the whole Nutella rage started, going to the store, picking up a package, looking at the nutrition facts, saying "this isn't healthy at all" and putting it back down. Every single person who claimed to be fooled could have done the same thing I did.

Randomhero

Just goes to show if you cry enough about anything you'll most likely get your way from a big company. Honestly if you dont know that nutella is bad for you, maybe the lady who filed the lawsuit needs to get some glasses with her earnings!

shaunche

I have not heard about this until now. I have always thought the Nutella adverts are criminally misleading, to sell a chocolate spread as a healthy product should not be allowed. The Nutella ads mention the hazelnuts and cocoa, but they forget to mention the sugar which negates any potential health benefits.

SoftRain

The ads crack me up with the "hint of cocoa" line. Right. If a hint is the predominant flavor I can see that as accurate. Yes, I can taste the hazelnut too, but really chocolate is dominant.

SifuPhil

People are truly sad ... I guess this is one end-product of schools not teaching logical thinking to our kids. Of COURSE it's a breakfast food - just like warm beer and cold pizza!

Seriously, I feel guilty by association just for living in this day and age ...

Suzie

I hadn't heard of this yet. I'm surprised people actually thought it was healthy to begin with. Nutella has been around for ages. Besides tasting horrible, if you check out the ingredients, it doesn't have very many healthy ones.

People are truly sad ... I guess this is one end-product of schools not teaching logical thinking to our kids. Of COURSE it's a breakfast food - just like warm beer and cold pizza!

Seriously, I feel guilty by association just for living in this day and age ...
Hm... warm beer, cold pizza, and nutella... that sounds like a kick@ss breakfast, haha!

I should try to think of something stupid to file a lawsuit about. I could use the money.

That stuff always looked nasty to me. I did not know it tasted like chocolate. And now it's not healthy. I hate big business sometimes. We are feeding this stuff to our kids thinking it is good for them. When will it all stop?