New implantable birth control?

Lyra

I heard about a new birth control that sounds a whole lot like the old Norplant. It is called Nexplanon. I've been trying to find the side effects and even a government Health and Human Services page about it basically says, "Don't worry! Side effects are basically breakthrough bleeding!" The Planned Parenthood page I found didn't list any negative side effects, simply saying it might not be the right choice for some women. It seems unlikely that the only possible side effect is breakthrough bleeding in your cycle.

All I can think of is how big a disaster Norplant was. It seems to me that everyone loves a new birth control and they only worry about how well it prevents pregnancy. No one seems all that worried about the effects on women.

SoftRain

They always say don't worry until they find something to worry about. Hormonal birth control is generally a good thing, I think, but there are definitely risks to what essentially amounts to years of hormone therapy.

I once read an article that wondered why men weren't the ones to take birth control. The author argued that women are only fertile a few times a month and men are fertile all the time, so they should be the ones to assume the health risks.

rayne

Anything that is put into your body that is not natural is not a good thing, in my opinion. The more we, as a society, learn about "all natural", the more we begin to realize that we are harming our bodies more than we know. I'll bet somewhere down the road, this new birth control will have some side effects not yet discovered.

Luvkenny

I agree... nothing is going to be implanted into me. These people keep coming out with new drugs and they don't worry about the effects they will have on us. Years later people have problems and there are lawsuits.

Lyra

I also think they are blinded by an anti-population agenda. The Gates Foundation loves to push these edgy birth control methods on women in third world countries. It smacks of eugenics, to me.

Cobbler

I just see it as one big money racket by people making very imperfect products. They don't care what these products do to people, they just want the money.

chabella

All Lady
I guess I take a somewhat different step on the implanted chatter here. I use Mirena and I have now for the past two cycles. I understand the risks and I read up on it a great deal before even speaking to my doctor about it. I understand and accept the risks and I am well aware that it (nor any other form of birth control) may not be the best for the masses.

What works for some does not work for all, I am however against big companies pushing on anything to the people. We has "people" need to learn to take responsibility for our own actions (including research before trying something like this).

rayne

As long as you have made an informed decision chabella, then the choice was yours to use Mirena. I do hope everything goes smoothly for you. My daughter is using a form of birth control where she doesn't have her monthly cycle. I'm not sure which one it is. I do get concerned that she may have some challenges later in life because of this. I'm just an all natural kind of gal.

Lyra

Yes, my concern is that women have all the information so that they can make an informed decision. I agree that everyone has to make their own choice about risks versus benefit. When they don't tell us the risks because they don't want us to know or because a product is rushed to market, that is what makes me mad.

chabella

All Lady
There is nothing wrong with all natural at all, for the longest time I felt the same way. My biggest issue was that I knew for a fact that we were finished with having buns in the oven. I did not like the options of surgery as I would prefer to let natural take its course but at the same time I am personally limited to certain other forms as it seems with age I am becoming allergic to more and more things now.