Neosporin Alternatives?

2Nature

Are there some other antibiotic ointments that are equally effective as legendary Neosporin? I'm searching for an alternative because Neosporin is so expensive and we use it so often.

Jessi

Well it depends on what you're using it for.

If it's for cuts, go for the generic offbrand of it (triple antibiotic ointment). It's much cheaper than the name brand.

You could also buy an aloe plant and break off the leaves for the gel inside for burns, small scrapes, etc. Or tea tree oil even.

dissn_it

I love Neosporin and usually buy the generic equivilant to save money. I never heard of honey and sage being used instead. I bet that works really well and will give that a try very soon.

2Nature

Thank you for advices. I know that for Aloe Vera and it does help. Sometimes some of the name brand products don't have a secret formula and that is true for Neosporin. A lot of other companies have that exact same ingredients.

shaunche

Aloe vera is a good natural antibiotic. You can also use a mixture of raw honey and salt. Salt will fight bacteria and help prevent infection. Another excellent natural antibacterial is the sun, expose your skin to sunlight!

ssamcd

You can buy triple-antibiotic cream or ointment at Walmart which is a generic for Neosporin. Also if you check dollar tree and the dollar store they do have some excellent deals there. The ingredients are generally the same. Another alternative is tea tree oil which is a natural antiseptic.

Sugarhill

If it's a small cut, I've used Vaseline and a band aid after washing the area with soap. I had heard that it was good for cuts years ago, but recently I had a small cut that I had to get healed immediately as it was on my finger. It worked for me. Try that.

mudrock

I sometimes use aloe vera when I have a scratch or something. I will use witch hazel for a lot of things too. I don't know if that will really make a difference or not but I do know it works well as a toner.

Suzie

I've used aloe before as well; it's very soothing and it is supposed to help heal scars. If you would rather use Neosporin, I recommend the store brand (Target has great store brands).

Jessi

I have used mint before. You can also use Lemon Juice, but it burns as does Alcohol.
What exactly does the lemon juice do? I'm assuming that lemon is probably an anesthetic of some sort maybe or simply to kill the germs. Generally Neosporin is being used to keep a wound covered and moist, too, though, which lemon juice couldn't really do.

This is going to sound weird but if it is a minor scrape or cut and not an open wound try using some cayenne pepper. It sounds like it would burn but in reality the capsaicin in the pepper prevents your brain from receiving pain signals. It will accelerate the healing process as well. You just need to dab the pepper on the scrape and wipe it off after a few moments.

Scarletpyxi

You can also add a few drops of essential lavender oil to a container of coconut oil and keep it on hand for this purpose. It will seem expensive at first, but I can tell you that it will definitely save you money in the long run from experience.

Jessi

This is going to sound weird but if it is a minor scrape or cut and not an open wound try using some cayenne pepper. It sounds like it would burn but in reality the capsaicin in the pepper prevents your brain from receiving pain signals. It will accelerate the healing process as well. You just need to dab the pepper on the scrape and wipe it off after a few moments.
Hmm, that's interesting. Isn't a scrape or cut going to be technically an open wound anyway? Or are you just trying to say that it's not a major injury? I'm going to have to try this out to see if it really does kill the pain.

Sugarhill

I think the cut will be open, but sometimes you'll still have a flap of skin that covers it partially or completely and perhaps that will help with this particular remedy.

Well, the first person who told me about the cayenne pepper was probably talking about a serious injury that would require stitches but I wasn't sure. I did some more research online and found a couple of links that tell you that even injesting the powdered cayenne pepper in some warm water can help staunch bleeding. Here is one link that might help you decide if it is worth trying or not.

http://www.cayennepepper.info/treating-wounds-with-cayenne-pepper.html