Natural methods to good sleeping

Ronald Ramos

Many of us probably have trouble sleeping. We wake up with a sore back or a stiff neck that spells frustrating throughout the day. Here are some things to do to sleep well!

The best way to sleep is to lie flat on bed with no pillow below the head and only one pillow below the knees. This ensures correct spinal positioning. You are maintaining the natural curvature of the spine so there is no tension or pressure. But if you feel uncomfortable, you can put only one pillow below your head.

Of course, the problem with this is snoring. There is another position to get you out of that snoreful sleep!

Sleep on any side you want. Turn to the side you're comfortable with and put one pillow below your head. Now wrap your arm below the pillow. The pillow should fill in the space between your head and shoulder. Put another pillow in between your legs. Again, this will promote not just the natural curvature of the spine but will promote stability in positioning. Meaning the hips won't move into uncomfortable positions and your head will be stable.

Enjoy sleeping!

I have a hubby that snores a lot so I'll have to give that second one a try. Maybe it will help and "I'll" get a better nights sleep. :)

Ronald Ramos

I have a hubby that snores a lot so I'll have to give that second one a try. Maybe it will help and "I'll" get a better nights sleep. :)
Come back here and tell us the results! I have this bad habit of snoring also and I've found that this does indeed decrease snoring and by virtue of association, sleep apnea.

shaunche

You need a pillow to support the head if you lay on your side. A big pillow will skew spinal alignment but a small pillow shouldn't be a problem. Also, investing in a quality mattress is a good idea, the technology in modern mattresses is superb.

Sugarhill

You need a pillow to support the head if you lay on your side. A big pillow will skew spinal alignment but a small pillow shouldn't be a problem. Also, investing in a quality mattress is a good idea, the technology in modern mattresses is superb.

There is still an issue of your head tilting downward and affecting the spinal alignment. It can be slightly resolved by putting the arm under the pillow as previously suggested, but most people don't sleep in the same exact position throughout the night.

It's important to get the firmest pillow that you can stand so your head doesn't just sink by the middle of the night.

argo

You also need to develop well sleeping routines.
Start sleeping if possible at same hour every day so that your body gets his internal clock set-up.
A very good hour to star sleeping is before or just a little after 10 p.m, most people need to sleep at least 7-8 hours a day to get the body necessary rest aka "batteries recharged"

You need to stop all demanding activities from like an hour before sleep.
When in bed you can listen to relaxation music (look at youtube: rainforest, rainstorm, raindrop) or "specialty made" tracks to help you sleep (search for "sleep tracks") - for me this was effective, I can confirm it works.

As for herbals good against insomnia I highly recommend "Passiflora extract" and/or a "Tillia" extract or "Tillia" tea. You will sleep like a baby.

Sleep tight!

Melissa

I have a great way to improve sleep...Take my son! He's 2 and still doesn't sleep more than 4 hours a night, you'll conk right out! lol. But other than that i find memory foam helps wonders. Its a bit pricy but they do sell memory foam inserts so its definitely something to look into :)

save27

I really don't sleep well. Usually the only way I find that works well is deep breathing and thinking about different things. I have tried counting sheep so many times and it hardly ever works.

EthanWang

This solution doesn't work for me unfortunately. I have used the methods mentioned above and still can not see any improvements ( maybe my snoring problem is one of a kind? lol). I asked my wife and she said that she could not sleep the whole night just because of the noise i made. I'm so tired of this kind of sickness. Any other suggestions?

mudrock

I find that exercising on a daily basis and staying active in general gives me great sleep. When I'm not active during a certain day, I will occasionally get insomnia or will have trouble sleeping. Not sure if its some sort of weird cardio type thing for me or not.

Laurasav

EthanWang, try using Breathe Right Strips. They've helped with my husband's snoring. It's not foolproof as there are still times he's busy "sawing logs" so loud he wakes me up, but they have made a noticeable difference.
When I have trouble sleeping I find taking melatonin is helpful.
I'll have to try the pillow between the legs though. I often wake up from extreme pain, but the pillow may help that.
Good tips!

I don't get enough sleep either sometimes. Some of my sleep inducing methods include taking a long hot bubble bath and just relaxing, Taking a sleep aid, drinking some warm tea at night. I don't know why but it puts me in a good mood I always feel soothed after some warm tea.

save27

I don't get enough sleep either sometimes. Some of my sleep inducing methods include taking a long hot bubble bath and just relaxing, Taking a sleep aid, drinking some warm tea at night. I don't know why but it puts me in a good mood I always feel soothed after some warm tea.
That would be a wonderful method for me, but unfortunately whenever I drink warm tea I have to go to the bathroom like 3-4 times, so it is soothing but it keeps me up more going to the bathroom.

beckyv1265

I am so glad I don't have sleep issues. It sounds like its a pain. I am lucky that I am so busy that when I finaly get to bed I am generaly asleep before I hit the pillow. My husbaand laughs at me because some nights I am trying to remember something I was supposed to tell him and I fall asleep midsentence.

TheCause

It takes awhile to get used to it, but if you get yourself situated and lay on your while practicing the following breathing technique, it starts to feel like your home away from home.

Breathe in through your nose for a count of 5. Hold your breath for another count of 5. Then exhale through your mouth for a count of 5.
This will naturally slow your heart beat down. If you get sidetracked because you have had a busy day, just tell yourself, TheCause said even though it is good to get further along in your thought process on what you will do tomorrow, 99% of the time it is better to wait (It gets you away from the organized, natural fast paced movement of life, and the Never Ending thinking that happens during the day). Take time for yourself.
Repeat the breathing technique until...........until........

sweet dreams ;)

shaunche

It takes awhile to get used to it, but if you get yourself situated and lay on your while practicing the following breathing technique, it starts to feel like your home away from home.

Breathe in through your nose for a count of 5. Hold your breath for another count of 5. Then exhale through your mouth for a count of 5.
This will naturally slow your heart beat down. If you get sidetracked because you have had a busy day, just tell yourself, TheCause said even though it is good to get further along in your thought process on what you will do tomorrow, 99% of the time it is better to wait (It gets you away from the organized, natural fast paced movement of life, and the Never Ending thinking that happens during the day). Take time for yourself.
Repeat the breathing technique until...........until........

sweet dreams ;)
Another good trick is to have a hot shower prior to bed. Your body temperature will rise and you will feel sleepy when your body temperature falls back down. Studies suggest we sleep better in cooler temperatures rather than warm temperatures.

lettuce

Not wearing too many clothes to bed seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised. There's no need to don a full flannel suit, unless you want your sleep to be uncomfy and enjoy doing additional laundry.

shaunche

Not wearing too many clothes to bed seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised. There's no need to don a full flannel suit, unless you want your sleep to be uncomfy and enjoy doing additional laundry.
I haven't worn clothes in bed since I was a kid. It feels natural to sleep naked. I have a thick duvet during the winter and a sheet during the summer. I can't sleep with clothes on, even when it is freezing cold during winter.