Mineral oil

heytacos

I know this is used in many of the brand name lotions but what else can it be good for? Is it possible it could have extra value and can you buy it separate?

Marjorie

Mineral oil is a petroleum product, created when gas is distilled from crude oil. It clogs your pores so you can't easily excrete toxins through your skin. I don't like it.

Lena51

I know that mineral oil is good for when you are pregnant. It will keep the stretch marks away and you won't have to worry about any surgical procedure to remove them. I had no idea that it clogs the pores and you can't excrete toxins through the skin. This is what I used when I had my two kids and I had no idea about clogged pores.

shaunche

I know that mineral oil is good for when you are pregnant. It will keep the stretch marks away and you won't have to worry about any surgical procedure to remove them. I had no idea that it clogs the pores and you can't excrete toxins through the skin. This is what I used when I had my two kids and I had no idea about clogged pores.
Is there any evidence to support this? I don't see how mineral oil could prevent the development of stretch marks during pregnancy. You will develop stretch marks if your skin stretches in a short space of time, no oil will stop that from happening.

SoftRain

I agree that stretch marks are an issue of genetics, not oil or cream usage. I wouldn't use mineral oil anyway as it's not particularly good for you and is a petroleum product. They only started using it in lotions because it's a dirt cheap byproduct.

Esperahol

There are several grades of mineral oil. The ones most people know of are foodgrade ,which is used as a laxative, something to oil pans with, and to perserve wooden kitchen pieces like bowls or spoons, and the kind used in comestics which does not clog pores. Companies love money, but they aren't generally stupid enough to use or sale things to know to be toxic. As for stretch marks it is known that using something like a lotion or oil will reduce the incident of stretch mark if not prevent it. Most folks use cocoa butter rather than mineral oil, but it won't hurt you.

ohiotom76

I read somewhere that using lip balms with mineral oil in them actually will dry your lips out more in the long run.

Jessi

Is there any evidence to support this? I don't see how mineral oil could prevent the development of stretch marks during pregnancy. You will develop stretch marks if your skin stretches in a short space of time, no oil will stop that from happening.
The point of using oil on the area is to help keep the skin soft. The stretch marks come from the body growing faster than the skin can grow. It won't prevent all stretch marks or the worst of them, but it can help minimize some of the lines.

Esperahol

The point of using oil on the area is to help keep the skin soft. The stretch marks come from the body growing faster than the skin can grow. It won't prevent all stretch marks or the worst of them, but it can help minimize some of the lines.
Exactly. Thank you for putting this so well.

misumaru15

I wish I would have used more oils with my first pregnancy. I have stretch marks now. However I've learned to live with them. I am going to be using more coconut oil. That could be a good alternative. It goes into the skin so smoothly.

hunysukle

My mom used to pour a teaspoon of warm mineral oil into my ears when they were blocked or I had an earache. I don't know if it was just psychological, but the mineral oil seemed to help make my ears feel better.