Milk is a carb

Basil Nut

I've been trying to count carbohydrates lately as I'm trying to limit the amount of sugar in my diet. I had totally been forgetting to count the milk. Of course, it's a carb! It has lactose in it, which is definitely a sugar, and therefore a carb. This was totally a duh moment for me.

freshfoodie

Milk is not a carb in the way you think. Yes, it has lactose in it. If you are counting carbs then you will be counting it in everything you eat. Everything has some sort of sugar in it, whether it be lactose, fructose, corn syrup, cane sugar or something else.

Lyra

Yeah, I think milk is classified as a protein. I don't think you have to avoid it, or at least not much, on a low-carb diet. Though I could be wrong.

Luvkenny

I did not think about milk being a carb either. I would not count it. Milk is healthy for you and you need milk for strong bones. Milk does have sugar but it's easy to burn that off.

beckyv1265

Milk is a sugar and a protein so all of you are correct. Thats why many diets that count carbs and are fat based require you to add cream to your coffee. However I agree that it is great for you and I think that anything in moderation is good for you. Remeber though that when you drink low fat milk you increase the glycemic index because it no longer has the fat to lower it. So the suger is unbound in any way. Just as juicing any fruit will always make the glycemic index higher because you remove the fiber. Glycemic index is not sugar content but the rate that the sugar is absorbed. I hope that this helps.

bettyblue

If you are afraid of milk try to eat yoghurt or cheese instead. The truth is that most of store available milk is not so healthy as it comes from cows fed with GMO and is usually pasteurized. While I agree that many foods contain sugar naturally, not all sugar was the same effect on your body. Fructose is the worst and you should really avoid it, but lactose is not that bad unless you have problem with digesting it.

Lyra

Milk is a sugar and a protein so all of you are correct. Thats why many diets that count carbs and are fat based require you to add cream to your coffee. However I agree that it is great for you and I think that anything in moderation is good for you. Remeber though that when you drink low fat milk you increase the glycemic index because it no longer has the fat to lower it. So the suger is unbound in any way. Just as juicing any fruit will always make the glycemic index higher because you remove the fiber. Glycemic index is not sugar content but the rate that the sugar is absorbed. I hope that this helps.
I have heard this explained before, but I have never really understood it. This is a very clear explanation of why fruit is better than fruit juice and whole milk is better than skim. Thank you for laying it out in a why I could understand it!

beckyv1265

I have heard this explained before, but I have never really understood it. This is a very clear explanation of why fruit is better than fruit juice and whole milk is better than skim. Thank you for laying it out in a why I could understand it!
Your welcome. I am glad that I could help. We have a bunch of diabetics in my family. I have helped them work with their diets to help them maintain a healthy diet that does not send their sugar spiraling out of control. I had an Amish friend one time contact me because she was having an issue with yeast infections that had been plagueing her for over a month she was also having pain near her liver. I asked what she started doing differently since the last I saw her. She was very happy to tell me that she had started a new Juicing diet with Carrot juice. Now I will never trash carrot Juice because it is great but this woman happened to be not only diabetic but also she had a hypothyroid disorder. Since carrots have a glcemic index of around 97 and table sugar is only 87 when she juiced it it caused the glycemic index to rise even higher. She might as well have been drinking pure glucose, which has the glycemic index of 100. The other problem is people with hypothyroidism cannot process the beta carotene well so the liver can become toxic and swell. The advice I gave her was to stop all red and orange vegies temorarily and eat only green or leafy vegies along with some lean meats. I also recomended increasing her garlic intake as well as douching with garlic water as its anti-fungal. She cleared up in about 48 hours and the liver swelling went down in about a week. She is now eating a balance of vegetables and lean meats and only eats red or orange vegies occasionaly. I hope this helps.

Basil Nut

Thanks for all the comments. I've always thought of milk as a protein with fat, but I just didn't think of the carbs in it. Now that I'm counting carbs because of a family history of diabetes, I'm counting my milk intake, too. I just hadn't even considered the carbs in milk before.