Milk and Nail Care

Myrrh

I was just reading a list of tips to care for your hands and nails the natural way. One is to soak your nails in warm milk for 10 to 15 minutes. This will help strengthen your brittle and peeling nails.

Luvkenny

Interesting! I wonder why the milk has to be warm? Does it also help with cuticles? Mine are horrible lately. If not, does anyone know what will help them?

SoftRain

I could use some cuticle help too. Mine are always growing up in multiple layers and ripping after I push them back. Perhaps I should get a cuticle trimmer.

Trudy

I've never heard of soaking nails in milk, but if it works, why not? Do you remember those commercials from way back that had people soaking their nails in dishwashing detergent? I remember the line, "You're soaking in it," and the surprised look on the customer.

chabella

All Lady
I know I do not drink nearly enough milk myself, anytime I have it is either in cereal or it has chocolate in it. I guess I am a kid at heart. For the soaking does it matter what type of milk?

Myrrh

Sorry but it didn't say whether the type of milk matters or why the milk should be warm. Besides strengthening the nails, it also softens the skin around the nails, so that means your cuticles can benefit from it too.

Pinkle

I didn't know that soaking your hands in milk would help strengthen your nails! The only thing I knew about soaking your hands in milk is that it would help with chemical burns. My mom burned both her hands several years back after a day of prepping jalapeno peppers for canning. When she called the poison control center, they told her to soak her hands in milk overnight.