Microwaving technology that sterilizes food

Valerienne

Some time ago researchers from a company called MicroZap developed a microwaving technology that prevents mold from growing on the zapped bread for 60 days, without the use of preservatives. The treated bread does not differ from non-treated one in taste or texture.

Since the microwaving kills the mold spores before mold develops, this can help prevent some cases of foodborne illness. The technique is also effective at killing e coli and salmonella as well as other microorganisms, without heat damage to the food.

Read more here.

Primrose

This is an interesting article Valerienne. The procedure they describe would be very helpful in preventing all the things you mentioned. I just wonder if there is any danger to the body after consuming food that has been "zapped" like this? It's going to be an interesting study to watch.

SuzyQ

That's amazing! I wonder if it will result in a machine in every kitchen for zapping your food products? Maybe you wouldn't need a refrigerator? It will be very interesting to see what develops, especially since I bake my own bread which doesn't last very long.

Lyra

That really is an intriguing idea. I always wonder, with the advent of new technologies, what the unintended side effects might be, though. It seems like for every advancement we end up paying a price.

Cobbler

It is an interesting advancement, but it is man-made. When we make man-made advancements to something that is natural there are going to be side effects because we simply cannot replicate what nature does.