Meatless Monday is back!

freshfoodie

I used to do a meatless day every Monday but somehow I have gotten away from that with the advent of summer. Today it is back! I made manicotti, garlic bread and a fresh picked salad for dinner.

Laurasav

Mmm, that dinner of yours actually sounds so good that I doubt even my meat-loving husband would miss the meat! Good job, freshfoodie! I remember many, many, MANY years ago my auntie got me to do a vegetarian meal at least once a week for good health. I'd completely forgotten that until your post here! It's really a good idea - maybe I'll bring back a meatless day to our own menu from now on!

jason

Have a great day
Our dinner was meatless tonight. Seminole Pumpkin sauce on noodles. Not my favorite, but edible. I'm hoping to get one of them pumpkins to the grill soon. They are almost like a squash in flavor, I cannot remember what one though. We try once a week to do a meatless dish, and meatless monday does have a nice ring to it.

dissn_it

I like the name "Meatless Monday"! We usually have a few meatless meals each week but we may have to start making sure one of them falls on a Monday now.
Pasta with marinara or pesto sauce is a great meatless meal. I usually serve it with garlic bread and a garden salad. Vegetarian chili with honey cornbread is another one of our favorites.

Luvkenny

Yum! Except my manicotti is made with meat. It did sound really good though. I am trying to do more meals without meat but my family complains. We have been eating a lot of food out of the garden though.

MellowGuy

Imagine how much healthier we'd feel if we reversed it and only allowed meat on Mondays, lol. Anyway, I think this is a nice healthy idea. I'm currently doing a vegetarian challenge (3 weeks so far) and I'm always curious as to new vegetarian dish ideas. So far you are all mentioning some delicious sounding stuff. When I go back to meat again, I'll probably only eat meat half of the week.

Parker

I also like the name Meatless Mondays. I have eliminated meat from my diet except for fish. It really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. I'm always on the lookout for vegetarian recipes that are quick and easy. I haven't tried manicotti before.

I think we are going to have to start a "Meatless Monday" in our house, too, because the cost of meat just keeps rising and it's absolutely ridiculous now! That would be a great way for us to save money, because we actually eat leftovers the day after we cook, so "Meatless Monday" and "Leftover Tuesday" would actually equate to 2 days sans meat!

Hyacinth

I love manicotti. I have an old lady friend who is an Italian and I must say that she cooks the perfect manicotti! I used to have a meatless day, too and a day in which I can splurge on my favorite pastries and sweet treats. :)

Jessi

Mmm, sounds delicious. I don't actually eat meat that frequently, so for me, it'd probably be the opposite....Meat Monday, ha. I think it's a good way to keep meat consumption in check, though, and also save yourself a little money. Meat can be so expensive.

freshfoodie

Yum! Except my manicotti is made with meat. It did sound really good though. I am trying to do more meals without meat but my family complains. We have been eating a lot of food out of the garden though.
I have never seen a manicotti recipe that takes meat. Mine calls for ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and basil for the stuffing. It is delicious. I took the leftovers to work for lunch.

Jessi

I was actually meaning just a Meat Monday in general....not specifically about your manicotti.

But yes, there are delicious chicken manicottis....and ground beef manicotti that tastes similar to lasagna. :)

Pat

I have a meatless day, it is usually Wednesday, some time is just soup, grilled cheese and a salad or fruit. We will start doing it again with the grand kids.

Pushhyarag2000

There's a whole lot of motivational stuff on this website that I (a campaigner for healthy vegetarian lifestyles :D) stumbled upon. I hope posting the link to that site is fine with admin since it is a very good resource for people who want to go vegetarian. Here's the link folks and have a wonderful time checking out great stuff: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

ohiotom76

I usually gravitate toward italian food if I'm gonna go meatless. I can get plenty full on a big bowl of pasta or manicotti or ravioli and not feel deprived. I've tried to do stuff like veggie stir fries, but they just don't cut it, and I'm usually starving a few minutes later.

Halushki is pretty good too, it's just egg noodles with carmelized onions and braised cabbage and lots of butter (I throw romano on mine too). Some people put crumbled bacon on it, but I've also seen many churches sell it around lent along with their fish fries.

chabella

All Lady
I would love this being a pasta lover myself but my spouse does not feel the same way about it. Maybe I can overthrow him with the kids help? I found a great recipe online for a Ricotta Tart that I want to test out too, hopefully it turns out good.

shaunche

Replacing meat with bread and pasta is an awful route for your health but I suppose you are only doing it once a week so it's okay. The only time I go without meat is when I am fasting. I love good quality meat - lamb shoulder is my favourite.