McDonald's Vegetarian Restaurants

Hyacinth

McDonald's will be opening two restaurants that will not serve any chicken or fish items in India next year. It will be the first ever McDonald's vegetarian restaurants.

Primrose

This was in the news not too long ago and I thought it was wonderful. If they can do it in India, why can't they do it in the states? Some of us would be regulars.

Aletha

Wow! That's awesome. There are a lot of vegetarians but I don't think there are enough in our small town to keep one afloat. I could see one in a big city though.

Luvkenny

What would they serve then? Just their apple pies and french fries? I don't see it happening here in the states. I mean if you don't want to eat the meat, don't order it. I have never been to any restauarnt that served no meat.

Well I'm sure if they start there that eventually they will open one here in the states somewhere. I'm not a vegetarian myself but I'm sure there are things you can order now that don't contain meat.

freshfoodie

All of the major chain restaurants serve entirely different menus in foreign countries. For example in Canada McDonald's locations you can get a pizza. In a Chicago McDonald's you can get a hot dog. They make adaptations for the audience.

Lucinda

If they are catering to the local demands, then they will probably make a go of the restaurant. If not, and I don't think my neighborhood would go for it, they won't be able to survive without customers.

SoftRain

What would they serve then? Just their apple pies and french fries? I don't see it happening here in the states. I mean if you don't want to eat the meat, don't order it. I have never been to any restauarnt that served no meat.
They'll serve vegetarian dishes. Whether that will include soy-based meat substitutes or not remains to be seen. You should try a vegetarian restaurant some time; there are many good meatless dishes.

chabella

All Lady
I know many vegetarian types that have a hard time ordering any type of fast food. Years ago I worked with a gal that would only get the potato bites from Taco Bell and without the cream & cheese. I am sure it has to be hard, but I see no reason why a separate store is needed, why not a separate menu? Cross contamination maybe?

Sage

I know many vegetarian types that have a hard time ordering any type of fast food. Years ago I worked with a gal that would only get the potato bites from Taco Bell and without the cream & cheese. I am sure it has to be hard, but I see no reason why a separate store is needed, why not a separate menu? Cross contamination maybe?
Well, in India it would be because they don't eat beef, so people wouldn't eat at a McDonald's that served it. Cows are sacred there.

Hedda

I never go there, as I avoid junk food. I wonder if the vegetarian food would actually be healthy or not. Even healthy foods can be made unhealthy if they are prepared badly.

Valerienne

Hedda, that's a good question. I've read somewhere that people hope to have a healthy meal at McDonald's by ordering a salad, and then they add the whole packet of dressing and it ends up having almost as many calories as a cheeseburger. And they're still hungry afterwards :p I also think the salads at McDonald's are super poor quality. Small salad has what? A handful of lettuce scraps, teaspoon of carrots and a slice of tomato. All of dubious origin.

Trudy

Everywhere I go these days, the salads have disappeared into next to nothing. They have lots of filler lettuce. You have to dig to find the tomatoes. Even green items like peppers and broccoli are scarce. The increasing price of produce has made restaurants stingy with their trimmings. Mostly, you're paying a big price for a little bit of lettuce.

chabella

All Lady
The most I ever get from McDonald's or any other fast food place is a snack, like a yogurt parfait. The ones that you can get from Subway are a great mid morning snack before lunch rolls around, or during a quick day when you are pressed for time. I won't do salads at any fast food place, don't trust them!

jolee

I have a hard time believing that anything coming from McDonald's qualifies as healthy. I would place bets on their vegetarian food being as void of true life-giving qualities as the rest of their food products.