Massage

My mom bought me a gift certificate for a massage as a birthday gift. However, I've never had a professional massage before, so I'm nervous about going. Can anyone tell me what to expect? It's a "Swedish" massage, if that means anything.

lettuce

I wasn't very impressed by the massage I got and paid for. The guy simply didn't use enough pressure, and I was too shy to speak up and say anything. Perhaps the fact that I have like, zero fat on my back didn't help matters.

hunysukle

I can't wait to get a massage because I've never had one before. I would like to get a hot stone message, but any type would be fine. I've heard the massages help improve blood circulation, relieve stress, and even prevent aging to some extent. How much do messages typically cost per hour?

The first time I had a massage, I was very surprised. Some parts of my body hurt with the pressure, and some parts felt good. But over-all, I was impressed. I got 2 hours of relaxation and stress-free moments. I had to hold myself at some points because I am ticklish in my feet and leg areas. If you really want to have some moments of peace and relaxation, having a massage is a great time. :) Good luck!

konstantina

Massage is good for the skin, good for the body and very very relaxing for the muscles. I used to hate the idea of getting touched and rubbed and all these things, but once I tried it, I felt so much better. Our muscles tend to get all the tension and you can't even realize that. So give it a try and let us know how it went.

dissn_it

I have had a few and they are wonderfull! I have not had a Swedish message but it sounds like it is a really nice one to get. Here's a link for more information on what to expect. It has tips for a first timer and a video of a Swedish message, too. What Is Swedish Massage?

SifuPhil

... Can anyone tell me what to expect? It's a "Swedish" massage, if that means anything.
Swedish massage is the most popular form of general massage and includes such techniques as effleurage (long, gliding strokes), petrissage (kneading) and tapotement (light tapping). It's considered to be one of the gentler forms of massage and is great for reducing tension and tonifying the skin and muscles.

Just be sure to tell the therapist about any medical conditions you might have and you'll enjoy the experience.

Hyacinth

I wish someone would give me a certificate for a massage, too! :) It has been a while since I had one. I once read that Swedish massage is highly recommended for those who get massage for the first time.

chabella

All Lady
I am not too sure about the "Swedish" part of it but I have had bunches of them after a car wreck I was in that resulted in PT for almost a year. If they are the same as normal ones be prepared to drink a good bit of water after to help flush your body.

Swedish massage is the most popular form of general massage and includes such techniques as effleurage (long, gliding strokes), petrissage (kneading) and tapotement (light tapping). It's considered to be one of the gentler forms of massage and is great for reducing tension and tonifying the skin and muscles.

Just be sure to tell the therapist about any medical conditions you might have and you'll enjoy the experience.
Thanks for the explanation! I've heard about different types of massage before but didn't know any details.

I'll be scheduling the massage soon so the gift certificate doesn't expire, and I'll let everyone know how it went!

SifuPhil

I am not too sure about the "Swedish" part of it but I have had bunches of them after a car wreck I was in that resulted in PT for almost a year. If they are the same as normal ones be prepared to drink a good bit of water after to help flush your body.
Thanks for adding the bit about the water - I totally forgot to put that in, and it's quite important!

I can't be sure but I would think that what you had in PT was deep-tissue massage - quite different than Swedish. Of course it depends what specific symptoms they were treating, but rehabilitative massage is usually more painful than regular relaxation massage because of the destroyed tissue.

btatro

Did you have your massage? Swedish massage is your standard relaxation massage. It is usually not a treatment or deep tissue type massage. Depending on how long it is, they may do your whole body, the top half of your body, or perhaps just head/neck/shoulders. You undress to the level of your comfort ( I usually leave just my underwear on ) and lay under the covers on their table. They are very respectful and careful to keep you covered except for the limb or part of the body they are working on. Be sure to talk to them and let them know what you like/ don't like so you don't walk away unsatisfied. They can change the amount of pressure used or avoid certain areas if you would like. Don't' forget to relax :)

I went to a conference the other day and the sponsors offered free massages. That was my first time getting a professional massage and it was a wonderful experience. I even feel asleep on the table hehe!

shaunche

The Swedish style massage is common. I have had a Swedish massage in the past, it is nothing to be anxious about. I thoroughly enjoyed the massage, it is strangely relaxing feeling a stranger massage your body. You will come out of the experience feeling good, I'm sure.

Laurasav

I've had quite a few massages over the years. Many have been bad experiences though. I've been in a few car accidents (none my fault!) and deal with a lot of pain and some nerve damage. So if I get a bad massage I feel the effects for many days afterwards. Therefore, I rarely get massages now since I'm rather "gun shy." My husband loves them though and I give him gift certificates for massages quite often. We have certificates for a couple's massage that we're going to have to use before October. I've been putting it off because I dread and fear a possible bad experience! The session is for an hour's massage with a bonus 15 minute HydroLuxe massage (water). Scary - never had a water massage before! :eek:

chabella

All Lady
My first massage ever I still remember no one telling me about the water deal and that is a kicker after the massage is over. I spent about an hour in bliss and then three hours in pain from it.