Making Your Own Oils

Treehugger

Does anyone know how to make their own oils? I am going to try to grow some herbs this spring/summer and if anyone has any tricks or tips please let me know.

NatureMom

It depends what type of oils you mean. You can infuse extra virgin olive oil with a herb by simply adding it, perhaps chopped and leaving it. But it is very hard to make an essential oil, not sure you could easily do it at home.

smellsrfun

I would love to know how to make these oils too. They are expensive to buy in stores. Sometimes I find good deals at craft shows. Heck if we can make candles, bath salts, etc I would think we could make oils.

Natural

My friend taught me to extract coconut oil from the coconut milk. Coconut oil is good for fractures and relieving muscle cramps.

You have to cook the coconut milk on a pan. You are you going to mixed that so that the milk on the sides of the pan won't get burned. You have to this once in a while until the water has evaporated and only the oil is left behind. Discard the meat and place the oil in a clean container.

Change

I believe a lot of the oils are extracted by distillation. It would be extremely hard to do at home but not impossible. I really don't know how to do it though, I wish I did and I'd start my own cottage business.

NatureMom

In which case it would require some kind of a still, and heating and cooling equipment. I would think it possible but getting a pure product-and doing so safely would be very hard.