Longest IUD ?

chabella

All Lady
My doctor told me recently that Mirena in the UK is now listed for a full seven years, here in the US they have it set for five years only. Is this the longest lasting IUD on the market? I am not sure because I have only used this one but it makes me wonder the cost difference between this one and others.

freshfoodie

I am not sure but I think they have 10 year IUD's. I have the Mirena and it is only 5 years. I need to get another one next year. It costs around $700, but I don't know how much others cost.

chabella

All Lady
Either my doctor is charging too much or my insurance is paying too little! Are you talking $700 before or after insurance is used? If it is after then I am having a really hard time not being upset at my insurance company right now.

aunaturel

According to Planned Parenthood, IUDs cost between $500 and $1000 and can stay in for up to 12 years. Of course, their duration times may be based on global statistics. The FDA often sets shorter limits than they do over in Europe.

chabella

All Lady
12 years seems like far more than anything I have been able to research, interesting though. I know right now with the Mirena I was shocked to find out I could go a few "extra months" by my doctor's suggestion before I did the replacement one. Then we sat down and talking about how they are really good for at least seven years and the FDA is still sticking to that story.