Liver Cleanse with Herbs

Greenwoman

My family is big on liver cleanses and sometimes I shake my head, thinking, "Do you even know what is in that?". What are some herbs that act as a liver tonic and cleanses the liver?

shaunche

I know it's a spice but turmeric is excellent for liver detox. Turmeric is a wonder spice, I use it in all of my meals for its health benefits. Turmeric doesn't have much flavor so you can sprinkle it into any meal. Dandelion root is another popular liver cleanser.

gina121

Agree with shaunche. Turmeric has wonderful properties. I too use it often in my cooking. Rosemary is another herb that is said to be excellent for liver detox.

Greenwoman

So, is it possible to like take turmeric in a tea form of some sort? I know you can put it into food, but it stains everything so badly!

As for dandelion root, I have heard of this. I love it's nutty flavor, especially in tea form. I do have a question, though. Does taking Dandelion root when it's roasted affect its herbal properties?

Personally, I don't recommend cleansing with herbs until you have done a series of liver flushes. My liver was so toxic years ago and I thought I was doing the right thing in beginning to take milk thistle. I didn't know how clogged up my liver was at the time. The milk thistle was forcing it to detoxify and it didn't have the ability to do so. Instead of experiencing better health, I broke out in psoriasis all over my body. I immediately stopped the milk thistle and began doing liver flushes. I had amazing health benefits with each flush! I wasn't even expecting it. On the fifth flush, a very large and heavy rock came out of my body. I have no idea what it was. Collected toxins, or maybe an old tumor or something. I felt so unbelievably good after this thing came out... like a new person.

After that, I started taking milk thistle again and was able to tolerate it just fine. Now I can handle liver cleansing herbs okay, but I am getting ready to begin another series of flushes. It's been a few years since I did one and I think it's good to do them every so often for maintenance.

Greenwoman

Now, what is the difference between a liver flush and a liver detox? Also, what do you recommend for liver flushing? Is there a type of product out that you would recommend?

beckyv1265

I know it's a spice but turmeric is excellent for liver detox. Turmeric is a wonder spice, I use it in all of my meals for its health benefits. Turmeric doesn't have much flavor so you can sprinkle it into any meal. Dandelion root is another popular liver cleanser.
Turmeric is also a great anti-inflamatory and anti-cancer properties. Its also great for improving cholesterol. It lowers the bad and increases the good. It also has shown some promise in helping slow the progression of alzheimers and multiple sclerosis. It does stain so when I uses it I wear a bib. I can never eat without spilling stuff down the front of me. lol I am worse than the kids.

For the liver flush, you'll want to go to www.curezone.com. There is a liver flushing forum there as well as a lot of information and instructions.

http://curezone.com/cleanse/

There is the part of the site that should help, although you don't have to follow those instructions exactly. Hulda Clarke (the one who invented this flushing plan) had some weird ideas, some of which I don't really agree with. The most important part of the flush is the oil, the citrus, and the epsom salts. I've never taken any supplements or done any of that stuff she talks about. You basically just want to fast (or eat a light, non-fat diet) on the day of the flush, take your epsom salts (I take them in capsules because I can't stand the taste), and then drink your oil before bed. The next morning I skip the epsom salts dose she recommends and instead do a standard salt water flush colonic. I find this way easier to take than the epsoms and it flushes out all the toxins that are released during the flush.

There are a lot of people out there who claim this flush is a joke, a hoax, it doesn't work, it's quackery, etc. But I have had amazing benefits from doing it and you wouldn't believe the gross/weird things that came out of my body. Parasites, stones, etc. Many people have had crazy benefits or weird things happen despite what the skeptics claim. I'm not saying that the flush works because of the way they claim it does, but it definitely does work. So don't let the skeptics scare you off of it, at least without giving it a try.

Greenwoman

Thanks you very much! This looks like an interesting cleanse. I am a little concerned about the prospect of using epsom salts, though. I think I will look up more information on that before I commit to trying this out.

Is it really necessary to do the preceding cleanses, the parasite and kidney cleanses, first?

I'm not sure. Some people have, some haven't. I've heard mixed experiences, but I definitely don't think it's as life-shattering a deal as she makes it out to be. Hulda Clarke makes it sound like you will die or get terrible sick if you don't follow the liver flush instructions down to the exact detail. You really won't.

I never take the morning dose of epsom salt. I always take the two night doses though.

Also, the best results on these cleanses have been the ones I took a lot of time to prepare ahead of time, for example, the time I juice fasted on apple juice all day. This supposedly softens the junk within your liver and helps it flush out easier (because of the acid in the apples). I can't speak on the science of how this works, but I can say that those were some of the most successful flushes.

About the parasite cleanse, it's sort of a chicken and egg thing in my opinion. A clogged up, unhealthy liver can't aid the body in eliminating parasites, and the liver can often have parasites. So which you do first is maybe a matter of preference. I can say that I did parasite cleansing first, but that I didn't actually begin getting parasites out of me until way later, after I had changed to a healthier diet and done multiple liver flushes.

Be prepared though, I did have parasites and I did see them. It's gross, I know, but better just to face it and get them out. I had absolutely no idea that I had them and was just doing the cleanses as a precaution. A lot of people have them, unfortunately, especially if you've ever been around pets. HUMAWORM is a good brand of herbal parasite killers if you want to use one--but having an alkaline diet that is free of processed foods and rich in vegetables and fruits is the best way to prevent them, in my opinion.

Greenwoman

You actually SAW the parasites?! That sounds gross, and it is quite disturbing to think that these things are inside me even though I feel "fine".

I will ponder on that version of the liver flush, it seems a bit intense and I'm not entirely sure that I want to put myself through all of that just yet.

Yeah, I actually saw them. :( It was disturbing and gross. And of course, now I always have to wonder if there are more of them in there. I hope not. I always eat a large amount of garlic everyday now because I've heard that keeps them away.

But then I just figured there are tons of microorganisms all over our bodies, and it's better to just know that they were there and to continue to work on getting my system in balance so they can't take over. Probiotics are important because they keep that kind of stuff in check. But I think having an alkaline in body is the most important step.

I don't blame you for not wanting to liver flush yet. I was that exact same way. I swear I spent almost a year reading about liver flushing, pondering doing it, talking to other people about their experiences, etc. Then I finally did one and it was way easier than I had feared and a positive experience. I have had some rough liver flushes too, where I threw up and stuff. But overall they have been awesome.

If it's the path for you, one day you will just know you are ready, and do it. Until then, improving diet and exercise and adding things like turmeric are always helpful. :)

(by the way, I've read that parasites hate turmeric as well)

Greenwoman

Well, I think I will go the turmeric and garlic route for a little bit. At least I can easily manage it, make it, and take it with ease, and epsom salts aren't involved. I'll still keep a look out for other liver flush remedies. This seems a bit intense.