Lean Cuisine and the like

I am not a fan of frozen foods at all. Not only are they expensive for the amount of food you get, but they are disgusting and harmful for you as well. They try to advertise them as healthy but there are so many harmful chemicals in there that have a negative influence on your body. You are better off cooking some natural chicken, vegetables and a side of rice.

misumaru15

I have them once in a while. I eat them as an alternative to eating the full fat ones. I find that it is cheaper to make my own foods from scratch.

Nina

Definitely plan to make your own if you like the convenience of fast-food frozen meals. When I cook I always make extra portions to freeze so my husband and I can just defrost and pop one into the oven on days we don't want to cook.

freshfoodie

You don't buy organic if you can't afford it, obviously, but non-organic whole food is a better and cheaper option than ready made meals. You could make multiple meals from whole food for less than the cost of one Lean Cuisine meal, and it would be infinitely better for you nutritionally.
Exactly, Shaunche. I make extra at dinners and then use the leftovers for lunches. It is so much healthier. My SO is very sad that I tend not to buy frozen foods like Hot Pockets, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets and the like but they are full of preservatives and sodium.

shaunche

Exactly, Shaunche. I make extra at dinners and then use the leftovers for lunches. It is so much healthier. My SO is very sad that I tend not to buy frozen foods like Hot Pockets, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets and the like but they are full of preservatives and sodium.
Yep, full of sugar, artificial chemicals, industrial salts, bad fats and mostly devoid of any nutritional value. You are paying for calories without many nutrients, it's a lot more expensive when you think about it like that. You should think about what the food offers nutritionally then compare the price.

Jessi

In a pinch, I suppose they are better for you than, say, buying a frozen pizza instead maybe. In general, though, I don't think they should be eaten very often and they should be treated more like a treat than a reliable meal.

MellowGuy

Most packaged goods will have way too much salt and chemicals. It's convenient and cheap (A local walmart here sometimes sell two LC for $1.50!) . I don't think they are at all better for you compared to any other frozen product or junk food. Processed chemicals puts extra burden on your liver and other organs.

chabella

All Lady
I have had them in a pinch for quick lunches myself but its not something I would really put any major thought into. After testing a few hour I watched as my salt intake shot through the roof, you need to be very careful when you pick any out. As for use as a weight lose plan I would not suggest it.

shaunche

My mum used to work for a company called 'Meals on Wheels', they supplied ready made meals to the elderly and other people who couldn't go out and buy their food. The meals they sold were usually over-cooked and not very healthy.

I try and stay away from the pre-made frozen stuff. In the past I really liked the stuff, frozen pizza, microwave burritos, pizza rolls, yum! Since my habits started changing and I eat better, real, natural foods my tastes have evolved. Now I get cravings for these frozen processed foods, but when I eat them they just make me feel sick. So it's best to just say no, I can't eat them even when I want to.