Itching but no fleas!

Luvkenny

My outdoor cat has been itching horribly. I combed her out with the flea comb and I did not pull out any. I wonder if she just got into something and now she is itchy? Any ideas on what it could be?

MissEm

Does your cat suffer from allergies? This is the time of year my one dog starts scratching himself raw. It's allergies and I have to give him benadryl. I'm not sure if cats present allergies in a similar fashion, but it might be worth looking into.

Myrrh

I haven't had cats, so I am not sure about this. I looked it up though and accordingly, it could be any of the following: allergies, food intolerance, insect bites or dermatitis.

StarGazer

Dry skin can make your cat itchy and that can be caused by vitamin deficiencies or lack of fat in the diet. What kind of food are you giving the animal? I found that the cat I used to own did best with the addition of half a can of wet food in her daily diet.

Primrose

I have the same concern with my cat. I've looked him over and use the once a month flea medicine and he still scratches. Somewhere, I read about giving a little olive oil to your pet, it would help the itchy skin. Has anyone else heard this?

Elberberry

Olive oil is good. I give my dog brewer's yeast for his dry skin. I'm not sure if you can give brewer's yeast to cats but you might check with a vet.