Is depression a symptom?

question

Do you think that depression is a symptom of needing a good detox. Has anyone done a detox and seen a change in their moods and feelings afterwards?

Aletha

I've never seen it happen but then you never know. There are a lot of chemicals floating around out there and who knows what they do to you and your state of mind.

Novembre

I have never tried detox to get rid of depression. But like Aletha said, who knows that it works? Our physical health is closely related to our mental condition.

Greyhair

I have never heard of it, but just because that doesn't mean it's not true. I think your physical condition affect your mental health to some extent.

Cassia

I am not sure if there is a relationship between depression and detox, but who knows. Sometimes, biology works in ways that we never expect or don't fully comprehend.

wonder

I don't think they are related to be honest. People get depressed for many reasons though so who knows. I know weather makes me depressed at times (rainy and gloomy days).

ThymeandTide

There are a lot of illnesses that can also cause depression and anxiety and not just mental illness. Depression can be one of the first and the most overlooked symptom of physical illnesses.

konstantina

I believe that we always feel better when we do something for ourselves. If you start eating healthier, you will definitely feel different that when eating junk food all the time, especially if you know deep down that they are bad for you. It is like having a makeup. Don't you feel better if you wear a nice makeup, have your hair fixed and wear nice clothes? Same thing here!

rymick

Since diet can play a direct role in feelings of depression, I don't think it is farfetched at all to think a detox could lessen depression symptoms. What goes into our bodies is going to impact what goes on inside of us. Cleansing yourself of toxins would improve yor overall helth and I have to imagine that yes, that would certianly help someone feel better. Even on a psychological level, it has to do your mind good to know your taking care of yourself. When there's nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain, it's worth a try!

lettuce

I think you can certainly feel worse if you're bloated, not eating the right foods, dehydrated, etc. I don't think "toxins" can cause depression, though, because they don't really exist to the extent that people think they do.

I would think that depression is a state of the mind more than a state of the body. So I don't see how a detox would make any difference. Unless you are totally convinced that a detox is good for you. Then that would work.

Irma

I definitely believe that toxins in the environment that enter our bodies can throw our body chemistry out of balance. That includes our neurotransmitter levels and our hormones, both of which are connected to depression.

BonnyC

I would love to meet someone that was able to "cure" their clinical depression with a detox. That would really floor me. Maybe it could help with non-clinical depression, i.e. temporary depressed feelings due to outside sources. Being unhealthy alone can cause depression just because you feel bad physically which makes you feel bad mentally. Detoxing as a depression treatment or cure is a new one on me.

argo

@question, it depends on the severity of the depression. It does not cure a very low depression, but it can help.

Depression can be a symptom of something gone wrong in your body, it is definitely a chemical imbalance in the organism.

When you are feeling tired, with low energy you can develop depression. You need to check your diet and see what you miss and add it. Add omega-3 to your diet, vitamins and don`t forget to eat raw vegetables if possible and make sports, it is very important for a healthy body and mind.

ssamcd

I seen something on the internet about detox depression. I don't think it is a good way to treat depression. Health foods and some omega-3's would be better. Also exercise is a good treatment for depression. All healthy for your body.